Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bluffing

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Bluffing

Postby Mick » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:54 pm

We have 2 alexandrines one is just over a year old and the other is 8 months old.
The 8 month old one is becoming challenging, biting etc.
I've read a little about bluffing and I would be interested to hear what age other owners birds started this phase, how long it lasted, and how you managed it.
Mick
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Amazon, senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Bluffing

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:56 am

I can't help you with bluffing because I've never had a bird that did it. If any of my birds offered to bite, he was being real serious about it :lol:

But, if I were you, I would not be trying to interact with them. It's too early, you just got them a couple of days ago and any attempt that results in one of them trying to bite is not recommended at this point in time as it's completely counteractive [it will only teach the bird to get its point across by biting]. Are these birds both DNA'd males? Because if they are a male/female pair, I doubt you will be able to handle them once they become sexually mature...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Mick » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:35 pm

They aren't DNA'd. But out of interest why wouldn't I be able to handle them when they're mature?
Both are tame and very steady birds.
Mick
Parrotlet

Postby Navre » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:53 am

We had a male/female pair of Alexandrines. They were adults and could be handled. The male talked quite a bit. We learned his name because he told us.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 am

Maybe 'handle' was the wrong word for it because any bird can be handled - it all depends on the degree and the bird. I mean, I have mate-bonded pair of amazons with an abused and aggressive male and a wild-caught female that are not people-friendly and I can 'handle' them but I don't do it the way that I handle the pet ones... But, in any case, an adult [you have babies] mate-bonded male/female pair is harder to handle than a single bird - most especially during breeding season.

If they were not DNA'd, I suggest you find unisex names for them because you might have a male and a female, two males or two females...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Mick » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Yes they have unisex names. I had 2 senegals which I reared from chicks. They lived together and were still friendly once mature, except one which really favoured my wife.... no loyalty haha.
Mick
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am

Yes, but senegals are completely different from IRN's. Personally, I think they are the ultimate companion parrot...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Mick » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Really??? In my experience they can be very one person birds.
Mick
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 pm

:lol: Well, that's precisely why they are the ultimate companion bird: because they bond so very deeply with their human! No parrot is a true family pet - there is no such thing! You can have a parrot that is so content with its life and so sweet-tempered that it will interact with several people and not bite but that doesn't mean that the parrot doesn't have a chosen one - they all do. I have three parrots that are like that: the female GCC, the female African Gray and one of the old female amazons - then there are the ones that are one person exclusively but not at all unfriendly to people they know [female senegal, female redbelly, cockatoo, caique and the other old female amazon], third category is the handeable by most people but not really what one would call 'friendly-friendly' as they need to be 'stepped up' on a stick: male senegal, male redbelly - and last but not least are the ones that can only be handled carefully and from afar by me and nobody else so far [but not because I think I am the only one that can do it but because they have simply gotten used only to me] and those are the 'mean' mate-bonded pair of zons. I don't count poor Pablo Peachfront, the plets or the budgies because they are in their own world and don't really want anything to do with humans except as their providers.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Taming & Basic Training