Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

8 y.o. Amazon Double-Yellow

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

8 y.o. Amazon Double-Yellow

Postby MJJ » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:44 pm

As promised last Fall, I would like to make mention of our Amazon who is in search of housing. I actually don't think that's what this category is about, but (liz) I could not find the thread titled REHOMING. I am hopeful that a kind admin will move this post if appropriate.

So, yes, we seek to find our parrot a new home. The following is the text we have been using in ads, which explains why the tone is not quite right for Parrot Forum members with bird experience:

Our handsome Double-yellow headed Amazon parrot is named Franklin. He is 8 years old (we celebrate his birthday May 1, and he was born in 2009), and we have had him since he was old enough to be on his own. He is a normal and well-adjusted teenage parrot at this point, meaning he is mostly happy to sit around and be admired, he likes to explore, he does not pluck, and he makes some noise occasionally. He does not seem to like to learn single words, although he will say "good morning" when you appear, usually but not always in the actual morning. He seems to prefer songs, or phrases, and he knows several. Beyonce is one of his favorites. There's no reason you could not teach him more.

Here's a list of some things you might hear Franklin say/sing:
"All the single ladies, all the single ladies..."
"Trick or treat!"
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!"
"I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!"
"I believe in miracles, you sexy thing..."
"Good morning!" (at any time of day)
"Buggy! Buggy! C'mon! *whistles*" (us calling our now deceased Pug named Bug)
He also creatively combines these, as in:
"Frankly my dear, and your little dog too!"

If he sees a door opening, he will make a creaking sound, because he lives by our front door.

We seek to rehome Franklin because now that we are "empty-nesters" (pun intended), we find ourselves spending more time away from home. Having a sitter so often is a burden to us and unfair to him. We are willing to pass Franklin along to a good home where he will be well attended and admired. Franklin is able to sit quietly while you go out for errands and such, but he is a social animal and needs a good level of ongoing interaction with his "flock" (you).

If you have researched Amazon parrots, you know that their stimulation needs are mostly intellectual. They are described as having the behaviors of a three year old human. They are impulsive and will get hare-brained notions. You can train them against some undesirable activities, but often all that's required is a little distraction with a toy or a new location. Keep in mind these parrots, and this does include Franklin, do NOT appreciate physical interactions. He is trained to "step up" and will climb on your finger, but he *hates* to be petted and cuddling is out of the question. If you want a snuggly pet, look elsewhere. Franklin is a pet you can look at and be with, but not a pet you can, well, pet. He can bite, but it's rare and he's not aggressive, so small children would need to learn to keep a distance and be monitored.

We are not sure of Franklin's actual gender. He acts like a boy and we have never seen an egg. It is possible that Franklin is female, which would mean s/he probably has some serious gender identity issues. In general, he is amusing to have around. He is curious, will follow you everywhere, and periodically gets very chatty. He is chipped, but has probably not had any vaccinations. If you have other birds, you might ask your vet if any are recommended.

Franklin can fly, it's kind of what birds do, but as we like to take him outside we have always had his wings clipped. As a result he is not used to flying. We notice that as his flight feathers grow in, after a while he figures out that wings are useful again. As being clipped is what he's used to, we would recommend you keep up the manicures. It also tends to keep him off the high shelves, where you might have put things he shouldn't chew on. Although he can climb quite well...

Oh and about the picture*... He is strictly a non-alcohol drinker, although it looks like he's stalking my beer. He might be stalking the carrot, actually. He eats Parrot pellets and seed mix for breakfast, and a bit of whatever people food we ate for dinner in the evening. Veterinarians have encouraged us to feed only pellets, as they are nutritionally engineered for them, but that seems so boring. Plus, he loves pasta.

You'll find this information on the web, but the short list of things to avoid because they're hazardous to parrots is: Chocolate, teflon pans, and cruciferous vegetables.

Thanks for your interest!

*Assuming I can figure out how to upload a picture. If not, imagine a parrot, a glass of beer, and a plate with a carrot.

IMG_1203smaller.jpg
MJJ
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: DY Amazon
Flight: No

Re: 8 y.o. Amazon Double-Yellow

Postby MJJ » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:47 pm

Hm, the photo showed in the Draft...

IMG_1203smaller.jpg
IMG_1203smaller.jpg (95.38 KiB) Viewed 4285 times
MJJ
Parakeet

Postby liz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 pm

I use www.rescueme.com when I feel I have room for another. It is people who can not keep their critters thought they love them very much.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:26 am

You can also contact Mickaboo. It's a wonderfully responsible rescue in California [they do complete vetting for their birds and are very good at choosing the right home for them] which only uses foster homes [SOOOOOO much better than putting them in a shelter].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby MJJ » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks Paj. Rescueme is providing some interested parties, and so far they all seem legit. It's heartening! Mickaboo sounds like they focus on homeless birds, and Frank does have a home with us as long as he needs it.
MJJ
Parakeet

Postby Birdmum » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 am

Did you find a home for your Amazon?
Thanks, Cheryl
Birdmum
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringnecks

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:21 am

MJJ wrote:Thanks Paj. Rescueme is providing some interested parties, and so far they all seem legit. It's heartening! Mickaboo sounds like they focus on homeless birds, and Frank does have a home with us as long as he needs it.

That's great! But take into consideration that Mickaboo checks references and does home inspections and they not only 'do' homeless birds, they would have no problem doing the legwork for you while you keep Franklin at home. Of course, if you are willing to do the work yourself, then by all means, go ahead and do your own adoption. I hardly ever rehome birds nowadays but, every now and then, one shows up that would do much better in somebody else's home and, when this happens, I do my own adopting out BUT I am EXTREMELY picky as to where my birds go - for example, I do NOT adopt out to people with children, who do not own a home or who work full time out of their home.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing