Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 am

COOL!!! I learned of another species! Going by the description, it looks like you had a female. And, isn't it funny how similar to the pyrrhuras they are?! And I am not only talking size or body shape, I am talking head, face and beak, too!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Pajarita wrote:COOL!!! I learned of another species! Going by the description, it looks like you had a female. And, isn't it funny how similar to the pyrrhuras they are?! And I am not only talking size or body shape, I am talking head, face and beak, too!

I think they call that convergent evolution. Must be, since they're on different sides of the planet.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 am

Yes, that is what convergent evolution is but the interesting thing is that it's not usual to find it in islands where evolution is always kind of out of whack from the isolation - things like Foster's rule [where animals either grow too large or too little] and endemism [where species are only found in that island something super common in birds], for example - all atypical and explained through insular biography [the science that studies the special conditions in the island environments that cause animals to evolve differently]. I mean, it happens when the island is near the mainland or it was part of a mainland not too long ago but from Australia to South America? That's quite a stretch!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:43 am

Blueberry, our little Blue-bellied Parrot got adopted. I’ve never seen another one.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:09 am

So many species are now in the pet trade... Humans seem to have an insatiable vanity when it comes to owning exotics.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby DanaandPod » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:48 pm

Now because of the severe hoarder case, they have hundreds. Are you still volunteering there? Please shed some light on how its going?
I think about how....theres hundreds of thousands of parrots...AT the hands of under aged people, abusers, and even...just...people who dont know or care about their very basic needs. And theres nothing that can be done about it. Living creatures, with an unstoppable and all consuming set of needs neeimprisoned for peoples amusement.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Well, I would not say that 'nothing can be done about it' because all it takes is changing the animal cruelty laws and regulations making them more comprehensive.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:41 am

I still volunteer there. We currently have 60 birds. We are able to take birds in, again. Of the 60 birds we have, 42 are from the Weston seizure. Seventeen of the Weston birds died, the rest have been adopted.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:52 am

Navre wrote:Image

This is Tango. He steps up for me, but that's about it. He's a good bird.

Tango is back :(

He seems happy to be back, honestly. He loves the commotion. Tango came back through no fault of his own. The adopter was severely injured and had to pass him on to family. The family tried, but really couldn't handle him.

Everyone did the "right" thing here, and he still ended up having to come back,

He's a lot easier for me to handle now. Probably because I am not intimidated by macaws anymore. And of all the Macaws, the green wings and hyacinths seem the easiest to handle.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:07 am

Here is another one of Tango.

Navre
African Grey