Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:37 am

We need to clean up CL. Phoenix and Flutter came from CL as well as some others.

Maggie, my old breeder bird rescue is following Andy. I love it. Even Gimpy has been singing to me.

I gave them a bunch of soda boxes, the kind that you open one end. Those trying to nest will be able to where I can watch them and replace eggs. (I have to replace them before they show signs of life or I can't do it.) Those not nesting are having fun destroying the boxes.

Gimpy has been coming out of a corner when I go in. I don't get it. He is the only one in the corner and I can't even imagine that he has a mate.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:21 am

Myrtle is now hormonal but goes at it different than Rainbow. She sits on my shoulder with her butt in the air and moans to me about once a day.
Rainbow has rubbed against anything that does not move for quite some time now. So many time I had to stand still because she was up against my shoe. I read somewhere that a parrot was given quail eggs and hatched them. Would this be a good idea? The eggs would come from a grocery store and may not be fertile but this girl needs some kind of help.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:41 am

It was a budgie in Japan and the egg was a button quail one the woman had bought in the grocery story never imagining for one second that it was fertile.

The easiest way to switch eggs is to do it the same morning they are laid because, that way, you know for a fact that there is no embryo in it. If you hardboil the real eggs and put them back in the nest instead of using the plastic ones, just make a dot with a marker on the ones that are already hardboiled - that way you can identify immediately which one is the freshly laid egg.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:21 am

Rainbow has not laid an egg. She used to wait for Chick Chick to lay an egg and leave then go sit on it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:46 am

You can always get her a couple of small chicken eggs. They look almost the same, they are more or less the same size and white like a chicken egg, the only difference is the shape because the amazons' eggs are a tiny bit rounder than a chicken egg but it's hardly noticeable, I think.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:21 am

Chicken egg is a good idea. If they are fertile and hatch at least we will have chickens.

Cockatiel pairs like to check out many places before claiming one for a nest. I have been putting the soda cartons in there so they could choose. When I went in this morning Phoenix was the only one I saw. Even the singles are claiming the boxes.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:09 am

Yes, they all love boxes during breeding season. I go through so many of them that I actually had to make friends with the managers at a huge liquor store near the Walmart I usually go to and they always give me three or four of them but I think I am going to talk to the supermarket people to see if they can give me more because I need to change them almost daily now...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:15 am

Between Aunt B and me we drink a lot of sodas. The boxes are ideal for cockatiels.

Tommy and Tammy are trying to nest with Shadow on the outside. I love it that Tammy wanted her Tommy for nesting.

I need to cut the bottom out of a soda box and put a new top on their nesting box. It is so chewed up.

My heart just melted to nothing yesterday evening. I feed grain on a serving platter but use the whole tray for seed. When I got on my knees to change over, Andy walked past the seed and between my knees then looked up at me. He was joined by Jackie who did the same thing.

Other than kisses and moving them around with the back of my hand I do not touch them. They are not afraid of the giant in the room and want to be my friends.

When they flap around in the room they blow all the empty shells to the base boards. I need to go in and sweep them up. On my hands and knees I am used as a landing strip. I have to look at the others to know who is on my back. I wonder how many will use me as a perch today.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:13 am

AWWWW how sweet! The picture you painted in my head of you on all fours with birds walking between your knees and others perching on your back has made my day, Liz!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:52 pm

I was sitting on my feet so it was really funny. Seems that looking straight up would hurt their necks.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care