Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rehome advice

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Rehome advice

Postby Joe11232 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:26 am

Hello all,

I have had a Quaker parrot for about 3 years (that is also her age). We have tried to make things work, but due to a variety of reasons (we can't be home enough, some aggression towards my wife, noise in an apartment with neighbors, upsetting other pets, etc) I can't keep her. I have never rehomed a pet before and I hate having to go down this path, but I am convinced this is what has to be done for the sanity of all parties involved.

I live in Maryland, does anyone have advice to get her into a good home? Reputable places to surrender or any general advice?

Thanks
Joe11232
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Rehome advice

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:06 am

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you have to rehome her but, in all honesty, sometimes, it's the best thing you can do for them. There is a reputable rescue in Virginia called Phoenix Landing, I don't know how far you are from them or whether you would have to be put in a waiting list but that's the only one I know that I would recommend in that area. Now, having said that, rescues are not the best place for birds because they not only lose everything they know, including their 'family' but they also go to a place that is not permanent [all changes are a setback for parrots] and where the bird would not have a human of its own so, personally, I prefer to do it through Craigslist or Rescueme. BUT, if you are going to do it yourself, you need to make sure that the bird will go to a good home and that means no apartments, hands-on experience PLUS having somebody there during the day because although all parrots NEED the constant company and the strict solar schedule, when it comes to parrots that come from temperate climates [like quakers do], keeping them attuned to the seasons is essential [otherwise, they become overly hormonal and scream and bite in their frustration and physical discomfort].

If you cannot find anybody, I would be happy to drive over and pick her up - I love all birds but have a special place in my heart for quakers. I was born and raised in one of the countries where they are from and raised my first one when I was ten years old under my grandmother's supervision. Quakers are considered a pest in my country and the farmers knock down the nests and sell the babies at the farmers market for a few dollars but the ones that don't get sold die so, every summer, my grandmother would buy one or two, raise them and allow them to fly away when they wanted to. The one that I raised, Pelusa [it means lint in Spanish and I named her that because she had no feathers, only down, when I got her], lived with us for a couple of years before she left, then came back and stayed for another year or two until she finally flew away and stayed with the flock that flew over my house every day - and we could tell because we could hear her talking :lol: . People complain about their screams but, to me, they are the music of home.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:43 am

The bird going to Paj’s flock is probably the best thing that could happen to it. She’s very dedicated to her birds.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:06 am

Thank you, John! I wish you would drive down one day to visit me and my birds - I love meeting bird lovers and forum people face to face - and I love showing off my birds :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Joe11232 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Pajarita,

If you would be willing to take her in that might be best option, you sound like you may be able to directly provide a good home instead of her potentially bouncing around.

If you are up for that I can send you my contact info in a PM and we can discuss details.

Joe
Joe11232
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby liz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:49 am

This is a really good thread. I had hoped that the forum members would work together when a bird need to rehome.

My son will inherent my pets though he cannot keep them. I have told him to post on this forum when I am gone. My Rainbow thread holds a lot of info on personalities that would be needed for a new forever home.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:43 am

Joe11232 wrote:Pajarita,

If you would be willing to take her in that might be best option, you sound like you may be able to directly provide a good home instead of her potentially bouncing around.

If you are up for that I can send you my contact info in a PM and we can discuss details.

Joe

Joe, I am sending you a pm with my personal email address, as well.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Pajarita wrote:Thank you, John! I wish you would drive down one day to visit me and my birds - I love meeting bird lovers and forum people face to face - and I love showing off my birds :lol:

I'll try to drive down soon.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:16 am

That'll be great, John! I am looking forward to meeting you in person and showing you my birds! On another note, my husband and I will be driving down to Maryland this coming Friday to pick up Gryphon, the quaker this thread is about, and I will post about her on my next update thread.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Pajarita wrote:That'll be great, John! I am looking forward to meeting you in person and showing you my birds! On another note, my husband and I will be driving down to Maryland this coming Friday to pick up Gryphon, the quaker this thread is about, and I will post about her on my next update thread.

That’s great. I know you have been looking for a Quaker for a while.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Next

Return to General & Off Topic