Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Florida wild life

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Florida wild life

Postby liz » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:40 am

My friends Wiener dogs and her Pug made so much racket that she went out with a flashlight to see what they were barking at. Whatever had green eye shine. She saw it three nights in a row then saw something near her pool. She could not see it clear but knew it's size and how it was sitting. It had to be a big cat coming in for water. She is now putting a puppy pad down for them at night so they don't need to go out.

Jake the boxer is in a fenced area that used to also have horses. He even sounds the alarm when a turtle gets in his area. One night my son called for me to shut him up. When I went out he ran to me with wild eyes. He was grateful to be closed in his dog lot. He barked his complaint a few nights ago. It was a big opossum that was scaring him. A big opossum can take a dog down. Rachel shot it. We did not think to check for a pouch for babies. We went out the next morning and took them out but they had been cold and hungy for too long and did not make it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:03 am

Sheesh, Liz, please don't tell me terrible stories like this! Shooting a poor opossum...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:42 am

Pajarita wrote:Sheesh, Liz, please don't tell me terrible stories like this! Shooting a poor opossum...

I know. I am one of those people who stop to check dead opossums on the side of the road.

It was a situation. Jake was scared and it was too dark to rescue her and put her out.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 am

I don't know why the gators are so active right now. They have caused and car and motorcycle wreck. I watch Good Day Tampa Bay. They just reported a gator killing and eating a 75 pound dog. People have been finding gators far away from water. One of my friends found a big one in her back yard.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Navre » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:53 am

Pajarita wrote: There is one that has joined the flock of pigeons I feed every day (my 'clients') and I have been wrecking my brain trying to come up with a way to trap it because I know that, when winter comes and it turns real cold, she'll die out there - but I still haven't come up with anything so, if anybody has a good idea, please let me know!

They have spring traps and net guns. You'd catch a bunch and sort through for the one you want.

I think releasing white doves IS illegal. You can't release any non-native species without a permit.

EDIT: I should check the date on posts before I reply!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:28 am

The dove still comes every morning to eat with the flock of pigeons that it has joined and I think that there are a number of 'mixes' in it too because I have a number of them that are high pied... I also have homing pigeons mixed in it. There is BEAUTIFUL black male I call Bonito (means pretty], he is all black but has the 2 and 4 primaries on each wing perfectly white so it looks as if he had white stripes painted on them. And there is a dappled one that is awesome! She has contours in black, white, grey and dark beige all over her body - absolutely gorgeous! I wish I was back home already so I could build them a nice coop because, every morning, when I put the food out to them, I stay in the porch looking over all of them to see if any one is missing and worry the entire day when I don't see one. I think I am going to start feeding them in the evening also to make sure they 'make' it during the winter...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 am

Feeding them twice a day in this cold weather is a good idea. In bad weather it is hard for them to find food under snow.

It has been so cold here. " How cold is it?" Iguanas are freezing up and falling out of trees. They look dead but being cold blooded animals they come back when they get warm. This is farther south in Florida than I am. My son says he is happy we do not live that far south or I would have a room full of Iguanas for a month.

For any one who lives that far south and want to help them, they are partial to Romaine lettuce.

My daughter left an Iguana when she left home. I was surprised that I could bond to a lizard. He was so special that he potty trained himself and even came when I called.
But my son also left me with a critter. It was a big scorpion. I was afraid of her at first and used the lid of the aquarium to push her to a separate corner than I was working in. She learned to go to that corner when I went in her cage. I no longer needed to use the lid.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:47 am

Love is in the air. There are gaiters in strange places. Turtles are active also.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:07 am

Yep, it sure is!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:59 am

Wild life workers have been fishing gators out of pools on an average of one per week. Good Day Tampa Bay, the news program I watch in the morning, said they need to put peep holes on the bottom of motel doors. A gator knocked on one.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic