Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Would humans do better on a parrot diet?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Would humans do better on a parrot diet?

Postby GreenWing » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:27 pm

it's kind of ridicuous to ask, I know, but I can't help but think about the vegetable/fruit/seeds/ diet parrots eat, with no caffeine and no alcohol and just water to drink. Basically, parrots eat raw diets.

I've developed an allergy to something food-related, and so I've been watching Chance and thinking... hey she doesn't need coffee, she's good...

Any thoughts?
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Would humans do better on a parrot diet?

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Different biological needs. However that doesn’t mean we can’t learn something from their diets.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MamiRosea » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 am

The diet name you are looking for is Raw Vegan. Yes it is absolutely healthier my husband and I have done this for 3 years and it’s really hard work, you have to do your research before jumping into it. It can be dangerous if you don’t meal plan and eat enough proteins, omegas, and calcium. I did this successfully through 3 pregnancies. Do you research and read multiply articles on the topic
MamiRosea
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:53 am

I am with Michael. Humans are not meant to be herbivores, they evolved to be omnivores and I don't like to lose so I don't argue with Nature :lol: But, having said that, we can all benefit from eating more raw produce and less crap. My diet is not anywhere as good as my animals but I do eat fruits and veggies everyday, do not consume any white sugar, white flour, soy or any 'made-up' food like margarine or low and fat free stuff. I do eat eggs and some meat [not pork] but only free range, all vegetarian diet, no hormones, no antibiotics, that kind of thing. And I do have one cup of coffee for breakfast AND one bottle of beer with my dinner.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet