Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is this toaster oven tray safe for birds?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Is this toaster oven tray safe for birds?

Postby Flyingbird » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:34 am

Dear all,

I was thinking of buying a new toaster oven tray. Is the one in the link below safe? It says it is PTFE and PFOA free, but it also states 'non stick'. We will be contacting the company as well.

https://www.coolkitchengifts.com/shop/c ... nformation

Thank you.

Sandra
Flyingbird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars, Senegal parrot and Peach Fronted Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Is this toaster oven tray safe for birds?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:49 am

Welcome to the forum and thank you so much for not only caring about your birds' health but also doing a thorough research on this subject!

Now, I did a little research on this and found out that the difference between the 'regular' non-stick brands and this one is the 'glue' that makes the non-stick coating actually stick to the metal. Ecolution uses something called Hydrolon -which is a water process- instead of the 'regular glues' [the infamous PFOA et al] which makes it much safer BUT, apparently, it does not eliminate the fumes completely although it does reduce them significantly because the non-stick coating is still there.

Personally, I don't take risks so I have changed all my pots, pans, etc to stainless steel or porcelain. It does require 'curing' and it's not really stick-free but once you get the knack of using it, it works fine and, most importantly to me, it gives me peace of mind because, when it comes to my animals, I am a 'worrier' big time so, as Forrest Gump says: "One less thing to worry about"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Flyingbird » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Dear Pajarita,

Thank you very much for your reply. Sorry we took so long to reply; we have not been active on the forum for a while. It has helped a lot though and in fact we bought stainless steel instead.

Have a good day.

Best wishes,

Sandra
Flyingbird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars, Senegal parrot and Peach Fronted Conure

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:33 am

Glad to have been of help to you and your bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care