Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:29 am

:lol: I don't know why people find mice so scary but I think it might be the fact that they move so fast and are so little that people are afraid they might climb up their legs - something that no mouse in its right mind would do!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:55 am

Rachel was taken by surprise. If she had seen it before just a glance she would have turned it into a pet. It was just a situation.

In WV while my kids were small I drove a car that barely passed inspection back then. We lived on my dad's mini farm so we had all the wildlife. Our vehicles were so rusted that my dad put his jeep keys on a big plastic lid to keep a key from falling through the floor board.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Thu May 03, 2018 7:06 am

We found a stray, yellow-sided GCC in Warwick. If we can’t find the owners, I might take him to try to get a companion for Ocean. I’ve asked to have him sexed when the bloodwork is done.

Ocean has a 30x30 cage. Plenty of room for two if it works out.

Hopefully we can find his owner, but if not, maybe I’ll try.

After seeing paired-up birds at the rescue, I think it’s best. Ocean is not a cuddly bird for a GCC. She is independent and likes to fly. It’s hard to give her as much out-of-cage time as I’d like.
Her favorite person is my son, who is a 2LT in the Army and not here that much. I think a companion for her is the best way to go.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 03, 2018 9:23 am

I hope he ends up being a male because you are absolutely right, John. A companion bird is ALWAYS the best way to go with a parrot.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat May 12, 2018 10:02 am

Nicky decided to bite off all his tail feathers yesterday. He hasn’t exhibited any FDB for a long time. He’s been wandering around on the floor, chewing everything, for the last few weeks. He didn’t get out of the cage at all yesterday, and this morning I found all his chewed off tail feathers in the cage. He also shredded at least one wing feather.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 12, 2018 10:35 am

Oh, geez! :( That's the way it goes with most pluckers... They do OK for a while and you think you got it under control just to discover that you were just fooling yourself. Mami has plucked herself and Naida, too. It's the season.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat May 12, 2018 11:28 am

He likes cardboard boxes so I put one in his cage so he would have something to chew when he was locked up. Maybe that made things worse.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sun May 13, 2018 6:07 am

Cardboard boxes are fun for them and can only benefit. They get distracted when they have cardboard to chew up.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 13, 2018 11:27 am

I agree with Liz. I never quite understood why people say that giving them what they want is bad for them. It makes no sense to me and I've never observed this in my birds. Most of my birds are chewing up a storm right now so I oblige them and give them different things like cardboard boxes, rolled up magazines, yucca medallions or kabobs, chewie toys, branches and basically whatever I can find that they can chew on because it is exactly as Liz says: as long as they have something to chew, they are entertained... and I don't know if it's the fact that they are not obsessing over finding something to chew or the fact that it distracts them and/or focuses their energy but it seems to calm them, in a way.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun May 13, 2018 9:08 pm

I left the blinds open on Thursday night. I leave for the rescue at 0400 on Friday morning. I try to get there by sunrise. Because I wouldn’t be here to open the blinds at 0500, I left them open overnight. The neighbors’ stupid spotlights May have been on at some point overnight. It’s why I never leave the blinds open. I think that might have bothered him. He actually seems fine. He just doesn’t have a tail.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care