Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Please help. Baby birds fliying away from people

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Please help. Baby birds fliying away from people

Postby picus » Tue May 15, 2018 2:29 pm

:gcc:
Hello, and congratulations for this great forum.
I'm hand-feeding 2 lovely baby conures (orange-fronted) since they were some 2 weeks-old. They are some 7 weeks old now.
They are healthy and were tamed and let us touch and caress them... Until 4 days ago: Just after having their baby-bird-formula they just fly away to the highest site (curtain stick, etc.) and caress each other.
So they don't seem interested in socializing with humans anymore. Really frustrating! (I have had other birds of the same species before and they were happy to interact with the family).
Am I doing something wrong? Or can I do something to motivate them to socialize?
Please help! Thanks in advance!
picus
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 Amazon Parrots
4 Orange front Conures
1 Gold-blue Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Please help. Baby birds fliying away from people

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 16, 2018 10:31 am

Geez! Two weeks old! I am afraid that you did not get these babies from a good breeder, my dear. They should have stayed with the parents longer than that because it's actually bad for the birds AND the owner to separate them so early from their parents as there is a distinct possibility they grow up mal-adjusted from the lack of proper socialization... I really do not know what to tell you because what they are doing is normal - they are siblings and, as such, they are interacting with one another. It' actually a blessing that there are two of them and that they are doing this considering how young they were when they were taken from their parents and, most likely, what might end up giving them the necessary social skills. I would not worry over them preferring each other to a giant alien right now... They will come around once they get older and become more self-assured. Just spend as much time with them as you can in the same room and don't insist too much on a closer relationship right now, the fact that you are handfeeding them already gives you a huge advantage.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Please help. Baby birds fliying10 away from people

Postby liz » Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 am

I agree with Pajarita. The only thing keeping them sane is that there are two. They should not have been taken from their mom and dad.
You have an in with the hand feeding.
Be visible and vocal so they will have time to decide when to deal with the giant in the room. Make no move to touch them. When they are ready they will come to you.

I have a flock of refugee cockatiels. I do not try to touch them and have had them for 4 years. Some will land on my back while I am putting their food on the tray. Others are more confident and will walk over or stand on the back of my hand. One little guy with the chopped off wing will stand on my foot while I prep their food.

Also from a distance you can start learning their personalities. Each little one is different. In my flock of 10 there are no two alike.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby picus » Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Dear Pajarita and Liz,
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and your valuable suggestions.
I'm not sure they were exactly 2 weeks old but I am sill hand-feeding them with kaytee formula and they are making great progress.
They fly down to me when I offer food or some small treats to chew :)
Also, They are becoming more familiar and seeing humans as someone that can be trusted.
Sometimes they even play with my ears or my glasses and stand on my finger as a perch.
I will keep working on trust and will update you.
Many thanks again!
picus
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 Amazon Parrots
4 Orange front Conures
1 Gold-blue Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 22, 2018 10:55 am

There you go! Great attitude! Not all birds are the same - not even within the same species. They all have different personalities, likes, dislikes and, most importantly, their very own timetable to do things so, although some birds are very trusting, some are not and require a bit more patience and time to adjust.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training