Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 am

I use ABBA 2000 but any good bird vitamins would do.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Thu May 17, 2018 5:48 am

Pajarita wrote:I use ABBA 2000 but any good bird vitamins would do.

I have been getting my supplies from Foster and Smith. I will search their web site for the vitamins unless you have a better source.

You have also told me that the Walmart bird seed is not the best. Where and what kind of seed to you use.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 am

I use ABBA products. I get them directly from the manufacturing plant here in NJ but they sell their products on Amazon, too. For tiels, I would use ABBA 1600 for the winter and ABBA 1600 C for the breeding season - for dinner, of course, for breakfast everybody gets gloop.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri May 18, 2018 4:44 am

Years ago I had a male Lutino named Lemone'. He had a mate but for some reason did not know how to get it on so they had no babies. Shadow and Sweetie had a nest of 2 eggs but one fell and broke before hatching.
I had the Tiels divided so they could see each other but not touch. As soon as that baby hatched Lemone' wanted to get at it. Little Columbus was the only one in the nest and did not want to be alone. He would not stay in the nest and seemed to be adventuring though he could barely walk. Lemone would stand at the divider and call the little Tiel who would go to him. Lemone ' wanted to feed him.
I took the divider out and Lemone' took care of him after that. The parents were free from having a baby to take car of.

Later I took in my daughter's birds Tommy and Tammy. They had a nest of 3 eggs while Shadow and Sweetie did not have a nest. One day I heard Shadow singing from a distance and looked to see that Tommy and Tammy were both off the nest and Shadow had his head in the box singing to their eggs.

From what I have seen, these little being want to have babies to care for. Once out of the nest the whole flock feed the baby. It can go to anyone of them and they will feed it.
In Lemone's case he just took over with Columbus.
I was upset that no one seemed to be feeding Louise. I tried to feed her but her mouth was so small I got very little in her and more on her. Phoenix stepped up and became the nanny like Lemone' did.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 18, 2018 8:52 am

Liz, you are anthropomorphizing. Birds don't want to have babies 'to take care of' - they react to hormones and situations. I don't allow breeding in any of my parrots and they are all VERY happy. I just gave Paquita and Rajah a box because I saw her twice trying to get under a paper - they both went in as soon as I put it there and, although he has been going in and out, she has been spending time inside so she might end up laying and, if she does, she will get either fake eggs or her own hardboiled and put back in. By the time she get bored with them, the season will be almost over.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat May 19, 2018 6:40 am

Lemone" wanted to care for Columbus.

Phoenix had compassion for Louise and cared for her even though he is handicapped.

Gimpy was trying his best to get an egg under him that he found in the room. The poor thing could not stand up to do it and was really stressed out. I had to take the egg he found.

They have all the emotions of a human.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 19, 2018 8:55 am

Liz, you are confusing apples with oranges. Nature gives baby animals [and human babies, too!]features that make the adult animal react with protecting, feeding, warming, grooming, etc. This 'wanting to care' is nothing but another mechanism to ensure survival of the species. It' not that they actually think about it and decide to do it, they are driven to it - same as they are driven to get a mate and breed.

I am not saying that parrots don't love or don't have emotions, I believe they do - but, when it comes to breeding and raising babies, there is no actual thought behind it - no "Oh, wouldn't it be wonderful if I had babies?!", it's all hormones. And these hormones are easily appeased without actual procreation.

Look at this: https://www.zmescience.com/science/cute ... -242789930
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon May 21, 2018 2:01 pm

How do you explain Gimpy trying to get an egg under him. He tried a good while before giving up. ( He cannot stand up so was not able to get it under him.)

Andy is still missing Maggie. When I go in the room he goes to the top of the cage and runs to me so we can talk. I talk and he whimpers.

Jackie knows he is upset and has decided he just needs another mate. She has been laying down in front of him but he is not ready. Jackie's mate Max flew away the night we moved in in 2015. This is the first time she has shown any interest in a male.

Tommy and Tammy are nesting with an infertile egg. Sometimes they are just in there and not sitting. Shadow is left outside the box. I guess that is what you get for wife stealing.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 22, 2018 10:52 am

Liz, let me see if I can explain it better:

Gimpy sat on the egg because it was there. If there had been no egg, he would not think, wonder, ponder, wish or pine for one. Same with Tommy and Tammy, it's breeding season and there is an egg so they sit on it.

As to Andy, you don't really know if he is 'whimpering' and much less if he is actually missing Maggie. For all you know, he is not missing her and he is just vocalizing in his own way. Birds -like all animals- are VERY pragmatic and practical when it comes to losing a mate, a nest, a baby, a parent or a friend. It's not that they don't love them and that they don't mourn them in their own way but life NEEDS to go on same as always or the species would die and nature made certain that this doesn't happen by giving them a very straightforward approach to loss.

Same thing with Jackie... You are just endowing her behavior with your own interpretation of things with absolutely no proof or basis. Hens don't lay down in front of males to let them know they like them -males are the ones that do ALL the courting and the hens simply accept them or not. I am not saying that she is indifferent to him -she might very well like him a lot, for all I know- but saying that she 'knows' he is sad and decided the solution to this is for him to take her on as a mate is a bit too farfetched and outside the natural behaviors of male and female tiels.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat May 26, 2018 7:21 am

A/C is out. The only ones happy about are the cockatiels. I opened their window and a breeze comes through their room. They love the outdoor sounds and are even trying to talk to the Ravens. I have to put my humming bird feeder up for them. We have squirrels every where. The birds get excited when the squirrels are at their feeder.
Rainbow is still in the dining room. I need to put her near a window. Since she does not fly I have to stack boxes or stuff for her to climb. Rainbow calls out "helloooo" to anyone walking by or even to cars driving by. I am sure the kids get a kick out of it when they ride their bikes.

The ductwork for this house is so old that it breaks down. The A/C runs but does not move air. I am considering window units. My son had to fix duct work under the house when a critter made a nest in it. There is no real crawl space under the house so he had to crawl on his belly to replace it. I don't want him to have to do that again. I know it is the duct work breaking down.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care