Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Issues with new pet bird

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Issues with new pet bird

Postby Siddhant » Tue May 22, 2018 7:36 am

Hello. Yesterday I got a new Cockatiel from a local breeder and ahe is a female. The guy said she is 4 months and was quite active at the place. She is fully flighted and squeaks a lot but after I got her home today she has been sitting most of the day and seems quite sleepy and also only responds to other bird sounds on youtube trying to find the other bird. She is quite comfortable around me and is not afraid or something and eats very little like 5-6 sunflower seeds thats it. Is there a problem I should be concerned about or its just that she will take some time to adjust. Please help.
Siddhant
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Issues with new pet bird

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 am

Welcome to the forum! You must have a sex-linked mutation because that's the only way anybody can tell the gender of a 4 month old tiel without DNAing.

But, going to your question, no, a four month old bird should not be just sitting there, sleeping most of the time AND it SHOULD be scared of you. It should also not be eating sunflower seeds so, please, re-evaluate the diet you will be offering [they need whole grains and grass seeds and raw produce] and keep a very vigilant eye on her because, if what you describe is accurate, it's called lethargy and that's a symptom of disease.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Siddhant » Tue May 22, 2018 11:21 pm

She is a white faced grey cockatiel with slightly grey face and barred inner tail which are characteristics of a female one as I read on wiki..
Anyways thanks for your reply and also she has started moving around a bit biting and eating on her own only a little and played around a bit chasing my tie sitting on it as I pulled her around she seemed to like it and also walked towards me so I dont think if its necessary for her to be scared. But she dosent want to go in her cage anymore last night it took me almost an hour to get her in and played some bird sounds to finally calm her. This might be wrong but I dont think its a disease because there are absolutely no signs and also she tries to fly around the room but generally bangs on something and then I go pick her up. Looks kinda healthy to me and also I will post some photos of her so it will be easier for you to judge. Also thanks a lot again.
Siddhant
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 23, 2018 10:38 am

If she is a white face, you really do not know if you have a male or a female because all babies have bars on their tails and this only changes after the juvenile molt. But that's not here nor there. If she is flying and moving around, then she is not just sitting there sleeping - and that's good! Now, she needs soft food served fresh and warm twice a day with a fresh leafy green and a good cockatiel [with safflowers and not sunflowers] mix for dinner. If you fee her/him this, it will be very easy to get her/him to go back into the cage in the evening when the sun is setting because she/he will be eager for the seed dinner.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet