Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello everyone

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello everyone

Postby ShaneH83UK » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:15 am

Hi everyone, I'm Shane, from Preston in Lancashire. We own a beautiful African Grey called Stimpy (he says hello too by the way). Nice to meet you all.
ShaneH83UK
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello everyone

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:06 am

Hi, Shane and Stimpy! Welcome to the forum!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ShaneH83UK » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:50 am

Thanks Parajita. Stimpy says hi too.
Attachments
Stimpy (575 Pixels Wide).jpg
Stimpy (575 Pixels Wide).jpg (116.97 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
ShaneH83UK
Parakeet

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:26 am

He's beautiful. How old is he? He still has the pale eyes of a young bird.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby ShaneH83UK » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:04 am

He's around 9 or 10. We just recently bought him a month ago from a friend as they (for some crazy reason) didn't want him anymore. He's had 2 previous owners so won't let us touch him yet, but we understand that that could potentially take months to happen.
ShaneH83UK
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:10 am

Poor thing! Going from one hand to another... That is so very stressful for a parrot! Now, as to him not letting you touch him - well, grays are like that, mostly. My Sophie is the sweetest, sweetest bird but she only allows me to give her head scritches when she feels like it - unless it's breeding season, then she demands the scritches all the time. They are not touchy-feely birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ShaneH83UK » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:29 am

He's got us now until God calls for him. It is a shame because judging by posts and pictures on Facebook, he looked very touchy-feely with his first owners. I just don't think the previous owners before us really bothered with him. We spoil him rotten though.
ShaneH83UK
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:22 am

Well, I am BIG on spoiling :lol: [grandma of 12] but there is spoiling and then there is spoiling. Spoiling by giving lots of attention and out-of-cage time is great but spoiling by giving them people's food that are bad for them, or keeping them up at night 'watching TV', etc. is not good.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby ShaneH83UK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:42 am

No, he has a set routine. He's out of his cage when everyone is up in the morning until we all settle down at night at around 9pm. He doesn't get our food, but he loves his nuts and his fruit. He's just had some watermelon so he's really happy right now.
ShaneH83UK
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:51 am

Well, I am afraid that the schedule you have him under is not going to work because birds are photoperiodic so they NEED to be kept at a strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk or their endocrine system gets messed up. A solar schedule is, basically, what the name implies: a schedule that is based on the sun: wake up with dawn and go to bed with dusk. The trick is to expose them to the light that sets their 'internal clock' which is the different light spectrum that happens at sunrise and sunset when the sun rays hit the atmosphere at different steep angles, making the light refract in a different way from the rest of the day -and this means no artificial light exposure before the sun is up in the sky or after the sun reaches midway down to the horizon. It's not an easy thing to do for people who are not used to it but it's the ONLY way to keep their endocrine system healthy and working as it should [please research avian photoperiodism, avian endocrine system and avian reproduction]. To give you an idea, this time of the year, I open the blinds and uncover their cages at 5 am, turn on the overhead lights at 7 -7:15 am, turn them off at 6:30 - 6:45 pm and close the blinds and cover their cages at around 8:30 pm but this schedule changes as the seasons change and the days get shorter or longer -thankfully for me, I've been doing this for so long that my body has turned into a 'bird clock' on its own and the whole thing has become second nature [which drives my husband crazy :lol: ]
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to Introductions