Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is this normal?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Is this normal?

Postby blackscell » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:32 am

I think my African Grey is molting, however, she is losing alot of feathers? She doesn't seem distressed, still happy as always. She did fly away for a few days. Does this look like a normal molt or something more serious?
Attachments
thumbnail_20180603_122301.jpg
20180603_122256.jpg
blackscell
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Is this normal?

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:57 am

That's plucking. She's distressed or bored in some way. There are a ton of things that can cause it. Start by looking at anything that has changed in her life recently.

How old is she?
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:18 am

Oh, yes, that's plucking and BIG TIME, too! As John [Navre] said, please re-evaluate your entire husbandry because, if you don't nip this in the bud, you are going to end up with a naked bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby blackscell » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:13 am

She has never plucked before. She gets plenty out of cage time and enjoyment, I think it is cause I moved his cage from the living room to bedroom. My brother sleeps in the bedroom too, maybe too much noise or not used to sleep with people?

I will put her on the 3rd floor, the living room is being painted that's why I had to move her. Will see if that helps

She is 3 years now
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:47 am

She’s also becoming sexually mature. Issues will start to arise with hormones. She will be going through puberty for the next couple of years.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby GreenWing » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:28 am

Greys are highly senstive to change, they don't like it.

Is your parrot on a solar schedule? I ask because my grey was being hormonal too recently but she's chilled out a lot, although sometimes squeals. Solar schedule makes all the difference. Lots of sun exposure in the daytime is everything.

Do a solar schedule, have play toys, food to forage and rip like lettuce, and kale and carrots, and fun time to play although it sounds like your bird gets plenty of attention.

Play some music, African greys love music and whistling.

Don't stroke the bird's wings or any place that might be sexual for the bird.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 am

Also, is your bird clipped? And, if it is, is this a recent 'thing'? Because birds that are clipped after being flighted do tend to pluck in their despair...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby blackscell » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:14 pm

She is not clipped. She is familiar with all the rooms in the house, that's why I thought she wouldn't pluck in the bedroom. I moved my brother upstairs and her inside. She is only there for bedtime, but she is still plucking. She has been there for at least 1 month now but only starting plucking recently.

She does seem traumatized at night, since she was out for 3 days, flew away. She is very scared at night.
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 am

Is she kept at a strict solar schedule with 2 hour exposure to dawn and dusk and kept in quiet and darkness for her sleep at night?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 am

Any positive changes you make can take a long time to have an effect.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet