Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 26, 2018 9:01 am

I would go with the window units, too, Liz. Most especially if the ducts are falling apart... Lord knows what you are getting blown in through the vents.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun May 27, 2018 6:45 am

I had my ducts cleaned because junk was blowing in and sticking to my white kitchen cabinets.

It can get hot here but with the heat we get rain to cool us off. Our first summer here it rained at 3 pm daily for about an hour. Now we get rain at different times of the day and have even gone through some storms but my critters don't seem to be bothered by them.
It rained enough yesterday to cool the house but I am going out today to get window A/Cs for my living room and Aunt B's bedroom. I like my window open at night. Also Rainbow can climb into my window and loves to take her nap there too. I don't want to block her from there.

Alberto will probably fizzle out by the time it gets to us. My cousin lives near Tampa and they always get the storms. She has a 6 acre rescue farm. Her Emu, Easter, made the news for 3 days on Good Day Tampa Bay when he decided to go "walk about". She has even set up a cat house and fenced area for the strays that wander in. I don't know what all she has but she even has rescue horses. Storms really cause her trouble.

Jake, the boxer, is afraid of thunder. There have been many times that I go out in the storm to sit with him in the barn. He was doing good when the horses were here to keep him calm in storms.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 27, 2018 12:07 pm

Yes, the heat, humidity and the daily showers are all the things I dislike about Florida's weather... And, of course, the fact that it has all those bad tropical storms, hurricanes and what-not doesn't endear the state to me, either :lol:

Good for your cousin on the rescue place she has!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue May 29, 2018 6:03 am

I moved to the sweet spot in FL. We get thunder and lightening storms but none of the hard hurricanes. They turn into tropical storms before they get to us. My cousin is near Tampa and gets hit with all of them.

My cousin loves and cares for her rescues. I worry that since she has bad health that she will be leaving them to others to care for them. I hope someone steps up to help. Her husband cannot do all the work.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 am

Andy is still lonely and comes to me to talk when I go in the cockatiel room. He did not accept Jackie. He has been hanging out with Gimpy. Both are male but they are becoming buddies. The only time Jackie and Andy are together is when they go to the top of the cage to talk to me. Andy did learn from Jackie that I am a good friend.

Flutter and Lacy are still holding out with their nest. The eggs are not fertile and should abandon the nest soon. Tommy and Tammy gave up on their nest and are back in the flock.

The new windows that I am having put in will give a closer access to the outside. They love to sit in that window. I have platforms hanging from the cage wire on the window. The cage wire will be put on the outside when the new windows come in and they will be able to get closer to the screen.

Rainbow is always near my feet and likes to preen my heals. Myrtle has been spending more time on the floor with him. Rainbow is still hormonal but is coming out of it. She has been backing up to anything that doesn't move but doing it less now.
Myrtle had a few hormonal episodes but comes to me when she does. I think she is over it now.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 29, 2018 9:12 am

Hmmm, I doubt your amazons are 'over it'... Most likely, they are getting ready for the 'second clutch' because Precie and Zeus have been looking for another nest site and Naida is still in her nest -she laid two eggs but threw them out right after she laid them. I kept on putting them back in and she kept on kicking them out until they cracked and I threw them away. But she is still spending her days in her 'nest' while Mami goes in and out and seems more interested in having sex than actual procreation -she is a liberated hen! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu May 31, 2018 7:30 am

Flutter and Lacy are the only ones nesting now. The others gave up on it. I don't think the eggs are good because they keep throwing them out.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 am

Myrtle is so bad. She gets into everything and chews stuff. She has pulled the veneer off the kitchen cabinets and opens cabinet doors. Two doors together I have put my hair elastic on. Single doors have duct tape. She had gotten in my spice cabinet and chewed through and scattered most of my spices. I can look straight at her and tell her no. She just looks at me and goes back to doing what she wanted to. I have to chase her away but she goes right back even when I am watching. She is pushing my buttons.

Rainbow has chewed big holes in the entry to the bathroom. I will have to reconstruct the big holes and use a metal trim to stop her. Right now I have a bookcase in front of the bathroom. This is not a good idea for an old lady with a bad bladder.

I was using a one step plastic stool to look in an upper cabinet. Rainbow thinks it is the greatest thing. He dragged a cardboard box to it and happily started turning it into mulch. The box is about gone and I will have to give her another. She makes a mess in the kitchen but is not doing damage to my house. It is also good that she is always where I can find her. When I go in the kitchen he will let me know she is still under the stool.

Maggie did not want a mate but Andy followed her everywhere and sat as close to her as possible until he finally wore her down. Jackie is now doing that to Andy. He is not ready for another mate and prefers to hang out with Gimpy.
The only time Andy goes near Jackie is when they both fly to the top of the cage to come talk to me. Andy comes as close as an inch from my face. Jackie will come close enough to let me kiss her wing.

I have the love triangle again. Tammy and Tommy gave up on the nest and now Shadow is trying to get between them again.
I am searching for a Lutino female that needs me. I miss Sweetie and the new yellow bird may upset the triangle.

Phoenix must have fantam pains in his wing. He has picked at the nub. He does this every once in a while. I put Neosporin on it and he lets it heal. I think I will switch to vitamin E salve.

Louise is still a hellion. She was born here but acts like I am a big preditor and will fly as soon as I go in the room. Sometimes she will land on the other side of the cage and I can talk through the cage to her.

Flutter has been staying close to Lacey so he does not cause trouble for the flock. He used to fly around and knock the other birds off their perches.

I am having new windows put in. Hopefully all the cockatiels will perch in the cage at night so I can close them in while the window is being replaced. I put a small cage on the floor and Gimpy has been taking his naps in it. I hope I do not have to catch any to put them in a cage. I do have a net to keep them flying until they are tired. I just hate to use it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:39 am

:lol: Yes, a piece of furniture in front of the bathroom door is NOT a good thing for an old lady with a weak bladder [I would have to wear diapers! :lol: ]. Amazons get terribly chewy during breeding season -and they have a long one, too, because they always do two clutches -at least, mine do. Get the tiels used to going into the cage at night by putting their dinner in it and closing the door once it's dark. If you start ten days to a week before you need it for the window replacement, it should work out just fine.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:47 am

I callaps my cardboard before throwing it away to save space in the trash. There is usually a box or two on the floor before evening that needs it done. Rainbow found that my step stool in the kitchen is just her height. She pulled a small cardboard box under it and made mulch out of it. I sweep up and replace her cardboard every day and she has not chewed on anything else. It does make for clutter with her cardboard chips coming out.

I tie kitchen cabinets together with hair ties or duct tape the ones that don't match up. Myrtle can't get in the cabinets anymore but she is still picking the veneer off the cabinets. She chewed through the top of my pantry cabinet. I put a piece of plywood up there to give her a platform and gave her a cardboard box. She chews on it every once in a while but has the attention span of a nat when it is something I want her to do. My house has an open floor plan for the living room, dining room and kitchen. It is impossible to confine her in a room and she will not go near a cage.

I am going to have Aunt B's window replaced first them put Myrtle in her room for the rest of the windows. (She likes to hang from the curtain rod in there to look out the window.) The window people think they will be able to change the cockatiel window from the outside. I have a wire screen on the inside of the window for their protection against flying preditors so they would not be able to get out. I will try to confine them to cages just in case they can't do it from outside.

The last cockatiel nest has been abandoned. There is no mating going on. Jackie has been trying to tempt Andy but he ignores her.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care