Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi new here nice to meet you all

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi new here nice to meet you all

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:52 am

Hiii my names melissa, I'm 34 yrs old & have a 2yr old (he will actually be 3 tomorrow) black headed caique named Zorro. We live in seattle USA, he's an only bird. He is fully flighted & we go to flight club every month. Heres a few pics.

Last pic him n his buddy at flight club
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi new here nice to meet you all

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:54 pm

That's fantastic! Welcome. :thumbsup:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Michael wrote:That's fantastic! Welcome. :thumbsup:

Thanks =D u need caique smile lol
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Welcome, Melissa and Zorro! I have a black-capped caique myself - but I am not sure of the gender although his previous owner always referred to it as a 'he' so I need to have it DNAd in order to look for a mate for it [his/her name is Javi and he is quite the character :lol: ]
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:24 pm

Pajarita wrote:Welcome, Melissa and Zorro! I have a black-capped caique myself - but I am not sure of the gender although his previous owner always referred to it as a 'he' so I need to have it DNAd in order to look for a mate for it [his/her name is Javi and he is quite the character :lol: ]

Awe I'm going off what breeder said she dna him. I plan to have vet to do it in Oct. Zorro dont care about other birds, he just ignores em. I take him flight club n nwebs to socialize. If he starts show interest I will get him a buddy as I dont want babys
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:13 am

Well, the way I look at it is that, because of the way they evolved, nothing compares to a mate and the enrichment it brings into their lives -and I do mean NOTHING, no human, no companion, no nothing. Then you have the fact that because these birds were stolen from their parents and made to imprint to humans, it's not that easy to make them bond to another bird so getting one of the same species and opposite gender gives you a little, tiny bit of an edge. And last but not least, preventing babies is the easiest thing in the world to do!

Now, I will be the first to admit that even when you get what seems to you as the perfect mate for them, sometimes, it doesn't work no matter how long you try but I still think the risk is worth the possible 'happy ending'.

Javi also doesn't interact with the other birds -well, unless you call sneaking into their cages when they are not there and stealing their food 'interaction' :lol:- but his vocalizations are so different from the other species I have that I am sure that, even if he doesn't fall in love, having somebody speaking his 'language' will be very beneficial to him.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Pajarita wrote:Well, the way I look at it is that, because of the way they evolved, nothing compares to a mate and the enrichment it brings into their lives -and I do mean NOTHING, no human, no companion, no nothing. Then you have the fact that because these birds were stolen from their parents and made to imprint to humans, it's not that easy to make them bond to another bird so getting one of the same species and opposite gender gives you a little, tiny bit of an edge. And last but not least, preventing babies is the easiest thing in the world to do!

Now, I will be the first to admit that even when you get what seems to you as the perfect mate for them, sometimes, it doesn't work no matter how long you try but I still think the risk is worth the possible 'happy ending'.

Javi also doesn't interact with the other birds -well, unless you call sneaking into their cages when they are not there and stealing their food 'interaction' :lol:- but his vocalizations are so different from the other species I have that I am sure that, even if he doesn't fall in love, having somebody speaking his 'language' will be very beneficial to him.

That's true, I will still stick to another male. But I'm on ssi so I cant really afford another one right now. Maybe in a year or two. Plus my roommates dont want another caique. Gotta convince them. Also waiting till my credit card high enough to support Medical care of 2 birds.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 am

I hear you loud and clear on how expensive it is to keep parrots!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:33 am

Pajarita wrote:I hear you loud and clear on how expensive it is to keep parrots!

Yea
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby stevesjk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:50 am

Think very carefully before bringing another parrot in to the situation, if they dont bond you're stuck with two cages to clean, double the workload, in addition you might not be able to allow them out at the same time because of fighting so you'll be splitting your time between two birds and also on hot muggy summer days say goodbye to being able to open windows because when one's in its cage the other will be out. Let me tell you ..... When you're spending time with one, the other one will be in its cage screaming its head off in jealousy. Been there got the t shirt, never again.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Next

Return to Introductions