Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi new here nice to meet you all

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hi new here nice to meet you all

Postby liz » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:54 am

I have a flock with a few mated pairs. I have male and females in the flock that have not chosen a mate but are friendly and caring about each other to the point that the flock lets the two invalids go to the feeding station first when I put in new food.

You really have a fifty fifty chance of getting him a mate. Short of taking him with you to choose for himself you really don't know who he will take to.

I also do not believe in buying a bird. Everyone bought from a breeder or pet shop is filling a space that a homeless one could have. Old Shadow is the only one that came from a pet shop many years ago. I have paidrehomingfees for rehomed or refugees. Go to www.rescueme.com . There you can even read about their personalities.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:41 am

stevesjk wrote:Think very carefully before bringing another parrot in to the situation, if they dont bond you're stuck with two cages to clean, double the workload, in addition you might not be able to allow them out at the same time because of fighting so you'll be splitting your time between two birds and also on hot muggy summer days say goodbye to being able to open windows because when one's in its cage the other will be out. Let me tell you ..... When you're spending time with one, the other one will be in its cage screaming its head off in jealousy. Been there got the t shirt, never again.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

the only bird im bringing in to my house after i go to Canada is a foster. and he is a 23yr old sengeal that is not bird aggressive he dont care about other birds but dont attack them. mostly just stays on his cage. and Zorro dont care about other birds in the house either. my friend brings her birds a few times.

and as far as windows go its not a big deal all our windows have screens and my room only has a slider and it has a screen thats only open for two or three hours in the morning for vitamins. zorro is fully flighted so id never leave a window only without a screen any way. Zorro is not bird aggressive. he goes to flight club to socialize. and even if i had a second bird i would never house them together as caiques are known to turn on each other during hormonal seasons if your not breeding them.

if it dont work out he can be fostered some where else but i think it will be ok.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:58 am

liz wrote:I have a flock with a few mated pairs. I have male and females in the flock that have not chosen a mate but are friendly and caring about each other to the point that the flock lets the two invalids go to the feeding station first when I put in new food.

You really have a fifty fifty chance of getting him a mate. Short of taking him with you to choose for himself you really don't know who he will take to.

I also do not believe in buying a bird. Everyone bought from a breeder or pet shop is filling a space that a homeless one could have. Old Shadow is the only one that came from a pet shop many years ago. I have paidrehomingfees for rehomed or refugees. Go to http://www.rescueme.com . There you can even read about their personalities.

I totally am all for rescues. But most rescues have older birds & I want a buddy for him around his age (not that im looking right now). And I dont think most rescues dna test there birds, i'm only interested in males. But if I was to find a bird that he loved I'd get it dispite all that. I make toys 4 2 local rescues every 1-2 months. Zorro only 3.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:57 am

It seems to me that you are operating under a number of misconceptions. Rescues don't only have older or even problem birds but, aside from that, age means absolutely nothing to a bird [and I do mean nothing whatsoever!]. Once a bird is a sexually mature adult, whether the bird is 3 or 30 is all the same to them. And some rescues do DNA plus most people DNA their birds nowadays so, when they end up in a rescue, this info goes with them. But, in any case, if gender is super important, you can always pay for it [it's only $25]. Screens are not really a guarantee of safety, they are flimsy things that can be knocked down very easily so, if I were you, I would close the windows or leave the bird in its cage when you are not there. Even windows are not 100% safe! There was once a storm that sent a big branch through one of the windows of my birdroom in Pa [I lost some budgies and a pair of ringneck doves].

I don't allow my birds to interact with 'strange' birds because I don't know if they are healthy or not [nobody does unless they test for every single disease they could be carrying asymptomatically]. I also don't believe that any bird turns on its mate UNLESS the conditions they are kept are substandard. We used to believe this in the past [well, most people believed this, I never did] but, as the years went by and we learned more about them, we came to realize that it wasn't the birds but us who were creating the situation -cockatoos killing their mates is one example.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Pajarita wrote:It seems to me that you are operating under a number of misconceptions. Rescues don't only have older or even problem birds but, aside from that, age means absolutely nothing to a bird [and I do mean nothing whatsoever!]. Once a bird is a sexually mature adult, whether the bird is 3 or 30 is all the same to them. And some rescues do DNA plus most people DNA their birds nowadays so, when they end up in a rescue, this info goes with them. But, in any case, if gender is super important, you can always pay for it [it's only $25]. Screens are not really a guarantee of safety, they are flimsy things that can be knocked down very easily so, if I were you, I would close the windows or leave the bird in its cage when you are not there. Even windows are not 100% safe! There was once a storm that sent a big branch through one of the windows of my birdroom in Pa [I lost some budgies and a pair of ringneck doves].

I don't allow my birds to interact with 'strange' birds because I don't know if they are healthy or not [nobody does unless they test for every single disease they could be carrying asymptomatically]. I also don't believe that any bird turns on its mate UNLESS the conditions they are kept are substandard. We used to believe this in the past [well, most people believed this, I never did] but, as the years went by and we learned more about them, we came to realize that it wasn't the birds but us who were creating the situation -cockatoos killing their mates is one example.

It's not misconception. Just experience. Also age is important because of energy levels.
I never said I let them out alone. Also birds at flight club are all vetted and my foster has been vetted.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:03 am

Hmmm, I seriously doubt anybody actually vets 100% -at least, I never met anybody and I am sure that rescues don't do it because it would cost around $500 for each bird - plus some of the tests are not always 100% accurate [they give false positives and negatives]. I mean, do you know anybody who runs a PDD test on a bird that acts and looks healthy? I don't.

As to age and energy level - there is no difference in energy level between a young and an old bird. It's a common misconception, though... I've heard many times people saying that this or that bird has no energy "because it's old" when the problem was not age but health issues. The thing with birds is that they are not like mammals. Mammals age the way we think of aging, the way humans age: hair changes color and texture, fat deposits in places where it never did before, muscles deteriorate, teeth become worn out, we lose the ability to procreate, etc. but Nature did not 'design' birds that way and that's why nobody can tell how old a parrot is unless we have the leg band with the year it was hatched. Old birds look and act the same as young birds. Sheesh! Birds can even produce offspring and raise it successfully when they are ancient! Look up this story of a bird that was still producing birds at 66 years of age when we used to think that the average lifespan of her species was only 40!
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... ss-laysan/

And they don't care, either. I have a 36 or 37 year old female amazon whose husband must be in his late teens if he is that old! Some cougar, eh? :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Pajarita wrote:Hmmm, I seriously doubt anybody actually vets 100% -at least, I never met anybody and I am sure that rescues don't do it because it would cost around $500 for each bird - plus some of the tests are not always 100% accurate [they give false positives and negatives]. I mean, do you know anybody who runs a PDD test on a bird that acts and looks healthy? I don't.

As to age and energy level - there is no difference in energy level between a young and an old bird. It's a common misconception, though... I've heard many times people saying that this or that bird has no energy "because it's old" when the problem was not age but health issues. The thing with birds is that they are not like mammals. Mammals age the way we think of aging, the way humans age: hair changes color and texture, fat deposits in places where it never did before, muscles deteriorate, teeth become worn out, we lose the ability to procreate, etc. but Nature did not 'design' birds that way and that's why nobody can tell how old a parrot is unless we have the leg band with the year it was hatched. Old birds look and act the same as young birds. Sheesh! Birds can even produce offspring and raise it successfully when they are ancient! Look up this story of a bird that was still producing birds at 66 years of age when we used to think that the average lifespan of her species was only 40!
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... ss-laysan/

And they don't care, either. I have a 36 or 37 year old female amazon whose husband must be in his late teens if he is that old! Some cougar, eh? :lol:

nothing is 100% but its worth the risk to have him socialized in public with other birds and people. especially if the birds are vetted haveing some sort of contagious disease is slim. he loves it there geting him to leave is another story lol
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:47 am

"Been there, got the TShirt"? :lol: :lol: I am going to steal this one from you!

But, although the situation you describe is VERY likely, it doesn't have to be that way forever and ever. Parrots do learn to get along with each other. They might not love one another and they might not even like each other very much but they do learn to share the human and to get along [read: ignore each other]. It takes time, work, patience and, above all else, consistency but it's entirely doable.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:48 am

Zorro dont interact with the other birds very often. Occasionally he will get on the floor with the other bhc n wonder around together. But he mostly just sits on basketball hoops (it's in a school gym) or hangs goes fr op m person to person. But I'm hoping one day he will interact with the other birds atleast the other 2 caiques. But hes the only flyer in the group. So I geuss he feels he dont have to.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:19 am

A 'flight club' where there is only one bird that flies? :lol: Javi is not a good flier. He was clipped when younger and kept in his cage for too many hours so his wings, although fully feathered now, are weak and, because he was kept from flying for a long period of time and at a young age, he prefers to walk instead of flying. But he is getting better. I exercise his wings every day and they are getting stronger because he can now maintain a perfectly parallel to the floor flight for about 8 ft [he couldn't before, he would glide down]. He will never be a good flier but I hope that there is still a bit of room for improvement.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions