Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Leaving a parrot alone - how long is OK?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Leaving a parrot alone - how long is OK?

Postby tippy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:43 am

And so are stupid comments!

Also ridiculous precautions from people who are afraid of everything in life :-)
tippy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:13 am

WOW! Your unwarranted rudeness, lack of reading comprehension and your disregard for danger tells me you must be very young so, as a mother and grandmother, I forgive you but, a word of caution, we do not allow insults here. We can agree, we can disagree, we can debate, we can even argue heatedly over a subject but we don't insult each other. This is a place for adults that behave like adults and who love birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby tippy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:43 pm

Pajarita you obviously did not get the sarcasm when i replied to the other user accusing me of just expendí f a bird...you must not just read the individual words but learn to read between the lines!
tippy
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 am

There is nothing to read 'between the lines', an insult is an insult.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby tippy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:53 pm

WOW. No comment. Good luck!
tippy
Parakeet

Postby liz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:36 am

My birds get upset when I go to check the mail. When I get back they act like I left them for a week.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby GreenWing » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:27 pm

I've left Chance alone for a day with food and water but I have not done this often. I'm too worried about "what ifs" and what could happen. I try to take her everywhere with me. If I'm going to travel for an extended period of time she stays with "grandma"

And just for the record, here in the PNW there are a lot of forest fires going on, last Summer we had to evacuate, you can find my post on here about it, and so you NEVER know what will happen: forest fires, earthquakes, robberies, etc. Better to be safe than sorry and you know what? I love my bird too much to ever think of putting her in that situation.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby liz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:18 am

tippy wrote:Pajarita you obviously did not get the sarcasm when i replied to the other user accusing me of just expendí f a bird...you must not just read the individual words but learn to read between the lines!

I believe that all critters as well as humans have souls. I have also seen the personalities of my critters that proves it to me. Rainbow is 33 and equal to a 5 year old human with a speech impediment. Myrtle is 8 and equal to a 2 year old who likes getting into trouble. I would not let children that age be home alone. My pets are never alone. When I am not home my daughter and aunt are there.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:25 am

tippy wrote:It is really ashame that you think that budgies, just because they are cheap, that they are expendable...I am not sure what type of relationship you have with your birds.

To live in constant fear of something "maybe" occurring is not living. I highly recommend you seek some help.

Have a nice day and good recovery!

That was uncalled for.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 am

My Aunt Betty, my daughter Rachel and I live together and share care of critters. When I leave, even though the other two are there, my birds miss me.

I say different things for different times. "I have to get the mail" tells Myrtle to hang on the front room curtain to watch me go to the mail box.
When I put my purse on my shoulder and go out the back door to go to my son's house, I say "see you later". Myrtle will hang on Aunt B's curtain to watch me go.
When I have to leave for a few days, I scrub down their cage and set up activities for them. Myrtle picks up on this and won't leave my shoulder. She knows that when I leave it will be even at night. I say "I have to go and Rachel loves you".
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care