Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

new toys i made for zorro

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

new toys i made for zorro

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 am

Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Re: new toys i made for zorro

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:41 am

Nice! What are those pod-looking things?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Do you add anything to the coloring to make it stick better?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:53 am

Pajarita wrote:Nice! What are those pod-looking things?

Mahgonny pods
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:54 am

Michael wrote:Do you add anything to the coloring to make it stick better?

I use vittacritter dye & 70% rubbing alcohol (which evaporates in minutes leaving behind the color)
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:24 am

Zorro_the_bhc_2015 wrote:
Pajarita wrote:Nice! What are those pod-looking things?

Mahgonny pods

Oh, geez! Please don't use them anymore, the pods and beans are toxic! It's OK to use them as decoration but not for parrots - see this: https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_gydi.pdf
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:14 am

It's not toxic they sell them on mysafebirdstore.com and tons of other of other places. Maybe the wood is but these are not otherwise there be millions of dead parrots. My friends who are professional toy makers use them.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:40 am

According to my friend who runs that etsy shop your link n mahgonny pods are not from same plant. Mahgonny pods/slices are from Swietenia Macrophylla tree.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:06 pm

Hmmm, I don't know, Zorro. I checked on the species your friend says these pods belong to and it shows a completely different pod and seed. For one thing they are much larger [over 15 inches in length while everywhere I looked at under arts and crafts mahogany pods say they are 4 to 5 inches in legth] and the seeds don't look the same. See this: http://www.arkive.org/big-leaf-mahogany ... o-09b.html
Furthermore, even if the pods were indeed swietenia macrophylla, there were studies done that show liver and kidney issues [see below]. And take into consideration that these studies were done at a dosis of 2 mg/kg which would mean maybe half a bite for a parrot and that they only lasted 14 days or so which pretty much means nothing because you can ingest arsenic for 14 days and not show anything but, if you keep on taking it, you die.

These are the studies and don't just go by the 'no toxicity was found', look at the bloodwork results for liver and kidneys and you'll see.

http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC4285647
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6416300305

Personally, I would not risk it. For one thing, just because the name of the store is 'mysafebird' store or something similar, it doesn't mean that everything they sell is, indeed, safe. The pet industry is completely unregulated and manufacturers and stores can claim things that are not true and not be legally liable for it. For another, my motto is and always will be: when in doubt, don't! Besides, why use something that might be bad when there are lots and lots and lots of safe alternatives?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY