Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

SPCA aviary

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

SPCA aviary

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 am

No, not for homeless birds but as part of their petting zoo. And for the life of me I cannot understand how anybody or any organization can say they are 'for' the animals and, at the same time, make little birds hungry so they would eat from somebody's hands!

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nws-s ... story.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: SPCA aviary

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Its very sad Pajarita, but I think there is a big cultural bias towards mammals. In the food industry they call cows beef, they call pigs pork, but chickens are called chickens. it seem to be widespread that birds are not to be looked at the same as mammals. The SPCA would never do that to cats and dogs.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Re: SPCA aviary

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:05 am

I would not mind if they did it to dogs because the greatest majority of them are very people-oriented and love to get petting from just about anybody -at least, my friendly ones would! I would not do it to cats because they need to know you first and even then, it's when and how they want the interaction - and I would NEVER do it to a bird. I don't even allow my own kids and grandkids to touch my birds! They can look at them, whistle/sing/talk and even offer a treat but no touching.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Tales