Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Spices and Herbs

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Spices and Herbs

Postby Tman007 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:13 pm

Since parrots have less taste buds then we do. Are there any Spices or herbs that we can add to their food to help make it taste better for them? And Pajarita try not to pop another one of my balloons. LOL :gcc: :jenday:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Spices and Herbs

Postby Wolf » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Try basil or chili powder for a change of taste.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Tman007 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Thanks Wolf I will try that.

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:20 am

I use garlic, black and white pepper, chili powder, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, dill, allspice, paprika, cinnamon (only the real one from Ceylon), nutmeg, ginger, fennel/celery/anise seeds, cloves, cumin, crushed red pepper, cayenne, honey and pure maple syrup. I also use a tiny bit of all-fruit orange and grape marmalade (about a teaspoonful in about 2 lbs of gloop).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Tman007 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks Pajarita I will make a list. I now spend more time making up my parrots food, then I do for me. LOL. But I think it's great when you make up a dish for them and you sit and watch them eating it up.

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:37 pm

LOL - You should hear my husband complain about my birds getting food cooked especially for them by me from scratch every day and him having to eat frozen pizza!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby gromed92 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, tarragon, and thyme all do well when grown on a sunny windowsill.These are all safe for our parrots and will add flavor, variety, and nutrition to their meals.

https://rawspicebar.com/products/sumac
Last edited by gromed92 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
gromed92
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: bobo

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:44 am

No, no, not parsley! There is nothing in nature with more oxalic acid than parsley. It's fine for humans but never for birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:52 am

Pajarita wrote:LOL - You should hear my husband complain about my birds getting food cooked especially for them by me from scratch every day and him having to eat frozen pizza!

My aunt complains about it too. She also has to wait until the birds are fed before I fix her breakfast.
I would never eat in front of a hungry child. The same goes for my birds. All my critters and Aunt Betty get fed before me.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:21 am

I don't have that problem because, by the time my husband is ready for breakfast, all the birds have already been fed, given fresh water and clean cages, the cats ate, got fresh water, have clean litter pans and beds and are all napping in their room and the dogs went out twice, ate, got fresh water, got clean diapers and are all napping on clean beds in the kitchen. He times himself real well, doesn't he? :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet