Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Carobs

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Carobs

Postby GreenWing » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:12 am

Hey everyone, I just came back from the Mediterranean and there, I picked carobs right off the trees. Fortunately, U.S. customs let me bring them into the country, presumably because these carobs are naturally sundried. Carobs are very, very tasty and healthy, and are also low in sugars, so they are excellent for diabetics and those who cannot have a lot of sugar. My question is, can I give some of the (cleaned and washed) carob to my parrot? From what I've mostly gathered online, they seem to be safe, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance!
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Carobs

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:28 am

Well, I will admit to not knowing much about carob for the simple reason that I LOVE real chocolate :lol: and would not consider substituting it for fake chocolate but, for what I know, carob has no caffeine but the seeds are never used when they make the pulp of the beans into powder [and I don't know why] and it has about half its weight in sugar... it's natural sugar but it still sound like a lot, no?
And they do have a high content of iron [17% when parrots need only 2%] as well as a huge amount of omega 6 [which parrots never need because they eat grains, seeds and nuts which are all high in it]...

Here is a couple of links that might help:

https://www.healthline.com/health/food- ... raminefree

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/le ... cts/4324/2
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:37 am

Pajarita wrote:Well, I will admit to not knowing much about carob for the simple reason that I LOVE real chocolate :lol: and would not consider substituting it for fake chocolate but, for what I know, carob has no caffeine but the seeds are never used when they make the pulp of the beans into powder [and I don't know why] and it has about half its weight in sugar... it's natural sugar but it still sound like a lot, no?
And they do have a high content of iron [17% when parrots need only 2%] as well as a huge amount of omega 6 [which parrots never need because they eat grains, seeds and nuts which are all high in it]...

Here is a couple of links that might help:

https://www.healthline.com/health/food- ... raminefree

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/le ... cts/4324/2

Thank you for this! A lot of people have no idea what they are, but they are pretty amazing fruits and so good for you! Seriously I should get into business selling them in the States because they are impossible to find here, and WHOA I had no idea about that kind of nutrition! :P

In Sicily you can buy chocolates with carobs, I should send some to you sometime haha :D
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:21 am

Chocolate mixed with carob?! No, no, no, you do NOT mess with perfection! :lol: Funny thing is, I ADORE dark, semi-sweet chocolate [have a bar of it with whole hazelnuts in it every single night] but can't stand milk chocolate - isn't that weird?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:45 am

No no, not weird at all, milk chocolate is too sweet, dark chocolate is perfection! :mrgreen:
GreenWing
African Grey

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet