Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Park frustration

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Park frustration

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 pm

On a routine visit to the park today, I was quite frustrated because the parrots were getting too much attention. Normally it's ok in moderation but when it's too much, they really lose focus on me and the training becomes counter productive. Here's the really bad part though. Some kid brought a pair of budgerigars to the park and was holding them. I sincerely hope it is not as the result of seeing me with my parrots because albeit clipped they were not harnessed. As we all know budgies are exquisite fliers even while clipped. Make that two and it not only doubles the odds but also creates distraction in which the owner might let the other one go.

Perhaps in a different setting I would have went up and explained this but I didn't want to bring my parrots anywhere near his birds. It's enough that I don't trust anyone else's birds, but budgies are probably the worst cause they usually come from mills and unsanitary stores. So every time I'd relocate somewhere else either this one with the budgies or other kids would give me trouble. I gave up trying to train the birds so I showered them down. The sun was popping in and out between clouds so this necessitated further relocation needs. I didn't let anyone touch my birds today because I feared that kids may have been touching the budgies and I really didn't want to take any chances. My parrots were fine but I didn't get any training in and I had many things on my mind. So that's my little rant.

Please don't ever take parrots outside without a harness (whether clipped or not).
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Park frustration

Postby lzver » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:10 pm

I would be so annoyed.

On a regular basis, people just walk right onto our deck at the trailer and think they can just start touching the birds. I've stopped giving a long explanation ... I just say don't touch them because they bite. I find people respect Lucy and Jessie less than any dog I've ever had. I will always show respect to any pet owner and ask permission to touch their animals. Why can't people show the same respect?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Azure Hanyo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Aside from holding up a giant "Leave my birds the (insert swear here) alone" sign, I doubt there is much to be done to keep people away from your adorable birds, especially in such a frequented public location. Is there a more secluded park or other outdoor area you could go to on days when the park is teeming with people (and unharnessed, potentially disease-ridden budgies)? Granted being forced to take your training elsewhere isn't fair, but then there are rude people out there who just won't listen, no matter how politely you ask them to let you get on with your training.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Sometimes I wish it was the kids on the leash and not the parrots.

Actually today (for the most part) kids didn't try to touch the parrots. Someone even asked me if it's ok to touch or not and I said no. Today I didn't want anyone touching them. Some kids were asking if they can bite (and the real answer is "under the right circumstances") and I said yes! So word got around between the kids I guess to look but don't touch. There have been other times where kids would just run up to the parrot throw their fingers in and my Kili would make me proud and give them a good nip. Those kind of kids would run away and never come back. Luckily Kili doesn't bite that hard so I won't get in trouble. :mrgreen:
Michael
Macaw

Postby ptuga72 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Michael wrote:Sometimes I wish it was the kids on the leash and not the parrots.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you know I was never a fan of the whole kid leash thing, but now I work with preschoolers and used to work retail. Kid leash laws should definitely go into effect :D
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby Giantmoa » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:19 pm

you see kids on leashes at the zoo all of the time! its very funny, actually. I saw one parent with a dog leash on their kid. Little kids still sometimes run up onto the hawk hill to pet the raptors (who have very sharp talons and beaks, might I add) and my friend had to save a girl once. I think their parent should definitely invest in one...
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:00 am

i only have school on certain days so thats when i take my lorikeet to the park. he gets enough fresh air being at the zoo when ever im there
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Personally I think these people should send their kids to obedience school!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Mr.Darcy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:46 pm

As a mother of four kids (all adults now) and a police officer you need to prioritize. Good bad or indifferent people are more important than parrots! It nice we have pets, it makes us more empathetic towards other people, they keep us company, they teach us about ourselves, but sometime when I read the replies in this forum I shake my head. Kids are curious and eager just like our baby birds, Truman included. They want to learn and to please you (the adults) take a bit of the patience you practice when teaching/training your pet birds and apply it to the eager kids that want to learn....Oh and if that doesn't work for you or you don't think you need to, or you can't stand kids which is okay too, take your pets to another location to train...not a park/waterpark/playground where you are guarnteed to run into kids, and then get pissed when they come and visit you and your pets and want to touch explore etc....they are the featherless versions of our pet parrots...
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:51 pm

No. I will have to completely disagree. I realize that it's a public park and anyone can watch. However, no one has the right to start touching without permission. It is not only rude but also dangerous. It is the parents' responsibility to teach their own kids and when I run into problems it is because they do not. I don't have a problem with curious kids that want to watch and learn. It's the ones that are worse behaved than my parrots that I am concerned about.

I don't let my parrots run off and start biting/touching other people's children so the least I'd expect is that parents don't let their kids touch my birds. Most of the time this is the case, but some of the parents are really something else, so it's no wonder that the kids are messed up.
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to Parrot Tales