Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hair dryer

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Hair dryer

Postby terris » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi. What is a safe hand held hair dryer to use on my birds after they have had a shower?
I’ve heard that some have teflon or something else dangerous inside them thats unsafe to use on birds.
Any help would be appreciated.
Terri
terris
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing, severe macaws, cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Hair dryer

Postby Navre » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:44 pm

I wouldn't use any. Let them dry naturally. Let them take a bath early enough to be sure they are dry well before dark.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:55 am

I am with Navre. For one thing, all blowdryers have teflon nowadays and, for another, air drying is what nature ordered [Mother nature ALWAYS knows best] and heat will only mess up their natural skin and feather oils. They are not babies, they are not even domesticated animals, they are genetically identical to their wild counterparts - and wet plumage is actually quite beneficial for promoting proper grooming [and that's why baths are recommended for plucking birds]. All you need is to bathe them in the morning in a warm room so they don't get cold and have enough time to dry completely before they go to sleep.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:13 pm

No hair dryer, not needed, but if you have a portable heater, you can turn it on and place near the cage if it's a bit cold. Hope that helps.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:18 pm

Just don't shower them in the evening so they don't go to sleep wet and cold.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Mrs Rodriguez » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi everybody. I've recently got a parrot for my birthday and I want to make her feel comfortable around me. I want to learn how to give her a bath. What is the right temperature of water to give my parrot a bath? How to dry her after a bath? I've read this article about a microfiber brush. The article claims that you run this brush through your wet hair, and its bristles will absorb water. Can I use this brush to dry my bird? Thanks
Mrs Rodriguez
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Postby GreenWing » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:00 am

Mrs Rodriguez wrote:Hi everybody. I've recently got a parrot for my birthday and I want to make her feel comfortable around me. I want to learn how to give her a bath. What is the right temperature of water to give my parrot a bath? How to dry her after a bath? I've read this article about a microfiber brush. The article claims that you run this brush through your wet hair, and its bristles will absorb water. Can I use this brush to dry my bird? Thanks

Hi MrsRodriguez, welcome to the forum. You can introduce your parrot to the shower (with you) or, if she doesn't like that, you can mist her (put some purified water in a spray bottle) and mist her. Chance prefers the latter. Some birds like to bathe in a dish, like their water dishes.

See this website and read all about it:

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/bathing.html

Never use a brush on your bird. Parrots preen themselves and it's never, ever needed.

Never use any hair-drier, for one it's probably scary for the bird but more importantly, you can burn your parrot's skin and hurt her! Birds have feathers, not hair, and any drying other than oxygen is not needed.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:15 am

Hi, Mrs. Rodriguez, we need to know which species of parrot you have before we give you a specific answer because different species have different habits (some like one thing and others like another but, aside from that, adults of some species become hormonal if bathed too often) and needs so, please, tell us what kind of parrot you have and how old it is before you do anything (babies should never be bathed and unless you shower with completely cold water, the bird cannot shower with you, either). But there is never any type of drying (brush, towel or hairdryer) unless we are talking about a caique. Again, we need to know the species and the age, first because there is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bardiel » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:02 am

I would advise against it. You might make them sick that way. I understand that a lot of pirate owners think that it's OK to use a hair dryer another little friend, but I've asked my veterinarian and he advise d completely against it. If you want to respect your bed then don't do nonsense stuff of this kind and keep the hair dryer for your head only. I choose mine for personal use from hairdryerfair.com where they have comparisons from all types of models. So instead of looking for shortcuts when it comes to dry your parents after you give them a bath, I would rather look for a hairdryer for my own head.
Bardiel
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to General Parrot Care