Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:10 am

Maybe you can send them with somebody who is going there for vacation... I also do not like the DR. I used to go there often when I worked for the grain company and suffered the entire time I was there because of the terrible poverty. People who vacation in resorts don't see it but we went to the interior of the island where chicken growers were and it was awful!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Pajarita wrote:Maybe you can send them with somebody who is going there for vacation... I also do not like the DR. I used to go there often when I worked for the grain company and suffered the entire time I was there because of the terrible poverty. People who vacation in resorts don't see it but we went to the interior of the island where chicken growers were and it was awful!

I know someone from Haiti. Maybe I could send them with him next time he goes. The parrots are just about wiped out on the Haitian side, from what I have heard. She lost likely came from the DR side.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 am

There you go! Send the ashes to Haiti - that should do well enough as far as natural habitat...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:08 pm

https://youtu.be/8ARrpX1tKjk

My little puppy Amari. She is 6 months old. 5 lbs. 5/8 Maltese, 3/8 Yorkie.
I live across the street from the Beach. She gets so excited when she hits the sand.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:35 am

OMG!!! She is ADORABLE!!!!!!! What a cutie pie! And yes, she does love the beach!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:50 pm

The stuff from nuts.com is ground up way too finely. I’ll use it, but I’m going to keep looking.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Nicky managed to get his foot caught on a bar and couldn’t get it off. I had been out for about 4 hours. It had let one of his rear nails get too long and it was looped arojnd the bar. He seemed exhausted and hurt. His wing seems not to be folding right and he seemed weak.

I didn’t want to stress him with the ride to Boston, so I took him to a closer vet who had an avian.
They said nothing was broken. They did do some mild sedation on him, so I had them draw blood while he was under. It’s been about 18 months since his bloodwork. They did his nails, too. They didn’t think his toe was broken, but it’s definately sore.

I thought Angell in Boston was expensive. This cost $470. No xrays. Bloodwork was $154. That seems high but if it means he doesn’t have to go to the vet a second time I’ll gladly pay it.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:31 am

Avian vets do stick it to you, don't they? Same thing that, for a dog, would be $100, it's $200 for a bird...

Personally, I wouldn't have taken him to the vet. I would have waited a day or so and see if he looked better after some rest. I found Pablo with his bad wing stuck between the bars the other night. The bone that kind of sticks out had gotten caught between the bars and he couldn't get it out because he was laying on his back -how he managed to do that, I don't know! He also looked exhausted and 'droopy' but I carefully put him next to Codee in his little hut [that's where they both sleep] and he was fine in the morning after a good night rest. I check on the birds every night before I go to bed [I go around with a flashlight and very quickly shine the light on the cage] and found him like that - and it was a good thing, too because, if I hadn't, I am not sure he would have been alive in the morning [birds cannot breathe well if they are not upright].

Next time something like this happens, don't panic and wait because, in most cases, it's best to let them rest than to add the stress of going to a vet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:38 am

Nick’s CPK was elevated. They attribute that the the stress of the event that brought him to the vets.

His uric acid was also elevated. They said it was fine during his last test, but was elevated now. They think he could have been dehydrated, or it could be an early sign of kidney problems.

I’m inclined to do nothing based on one test. They were going to get back to me with more info in an email (which I have not yet received.)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Yes, and that's why I don't take them to the vet unless I see something wrong or they are already old and have chronic problems that need to be monitored. I always take them for a completely physical when I first get them to have an idea of what is going on and, if the bird has terrible values, I take it again after a few months of treatment, good diet, supplements, etc. just to see if things are going in the right direction but, after that, I only take them when they have something. The thing with parrots is that taking them to the vet all the time ends up being the remedy worse than the disease because of the high stress it causes and because the blood work values are always skewed precisely because of the stress. In my personal experience, birds are actually super hardy and resilient once they are in good health and cared for the right way --because, let's face it, it's the stress of being alone and improper care that causes 99.99% of all their medical problems-- BUT their sturdiness goes out the door once you start the avian vet revolving door thing... Especially if you give them mammal medicine!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care