Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

!!! URGENT!!! Lost Quaker

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

!!! URGENT!!! Lost Quaker

Postby Erfan771 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi forum I'm extremely upset while writing this, what happened is that after my last thread about my baby Teal Eagle in that Pajarita thankfully explained me the difference between aviary species and companion species I decided to get Eagle a mate when he gets a bit older but I still had the desieres to get a companion species bird wich I can bond whit. Aswell I got really amazed of Quaker parrots and the more I red about them and gathered information the more I started to love this species and got the feeling that that's what I'm looking for.  Unfortunately there are very little parrot lovers in the country I'm living in and parrots are sold very seldom ( except budgies tiels cockatiels and lovebirds and mostly been bought for breeding) so I didn't hope do get a quaker parrot easily but then suddenly I seen a advertisement in a whatsapp bird group from a breeder who wants to sell a pair of quakers. So after being surprised and even I wanted only a single bird I drove to the guy to see this bird for the first time in my life and it turned out that he bought them from a neighbor country a year ago and wanted to be the first one breeding them where he lives but because them still didn't layed eggs he thinks they are both males and wants to get rid of them. It's true that I didn't wanted a pair but after I seen how miserably they been keeping I couldn't resist, they been keeping in a very small cage ( about 60cm x 40cm) and the cage was very poor quality, the parrots already destroyed the roof of the plastic cage by chewing it and the only thing holding them inside was a wooden plank which the breeder put on top so they can't escape, as well the cage was almost on the ground and dirty and on top of it was several cages whit other birds. He been feeding them a seed only diet and he complained to me that they are aggressive and trying to bite him when he goes near them what I can fully understand under these circumstances. So I went right to a bird shop and bought a high quality cage whit some toys and a cuttlebone and took the birds whit me and put them in my living room since the room I am preparing for my birds is getting fixed still and I don't want to put them in there before finishing the paint. I started feeding them gloop (which I learned making for my tiel after researching Pajaritas threads) in the morning and surprisingly they ate it straight away from the first day also they seemed a lot happier in they're new cage. As well to me they seemed like a pair of male and female, they been feeding and cleaning each other (can't tell who been cleaning who because I couldn't tell them apart). It happened to me before that my IRN escaped from her cage and I knew that quakers are very intelligent so I extra secured the doors of their cage whit wires. The cage has 4 food and water bowls in it,  it's the one where you slide the metal bar up to take the bowl out,  so I took out they're gloop after midday because they get budgie mix in the evening and I didn't thought anything about securing the metal bar wich I'm extremely regretting now, then before evening my friend came to visit and we been sitting in another room talking when I heard the quakers screeming, so I went to the cage and I got shocked : only one of them was left inside! I got a very sick feeling it was so horrible for me I think if any of you lost your bird before you know what I'm talking about. When first looking I couldn't tell where he escaped from since all the doors been closed but after seeing the metal bar whitout the food bowl it just made sense that the bird lifted it whit his leg and escaped. By then it was already evening and I started my search in the neighborhood and spoke to my neighbors  but no one seen the parrot. Before the sun went under I heard the parrot screeming and the one in the cage screeming back but I couldn't find his position,  I kept searching whit a flashlight  in the night but whit no success so I went to sleep and set my alarm before the sun going up and made a separation in the cage,  I left the one parrot in the right side of the cage whit food and water and closed the door and in the left side of the cage I put a water and food bowl and opened the door. While the sun rising I heard the lost parrot screaming but his mate may didn't hear him and didn't screen back then I got a idea in the morning and took the cage whit the parrot on the roof of my house.  After doing that the parrot in the cage keeps screaming and the lost one answers and I tried to walk around and find out where he is but the quaker parrot sound is strange and you can't exactly say where it's coming from, then before midday I seen Hawks in the sky and both parrots went quiet and the one on the roof got terrified of the crows and Hawks and stopped eating so I took him back down and regretted taking him there in the first time, and after taking him down he calmed down and immediately started eating and drinking again. That's the last time I heard the lost parrot now it's dark outside and I got no clue what to do I'm feeling sick and I thought the best thing to do is asking you guys for advice, you know it's true that I got a bit sad that my IRN escaped but I didn't feeled so bad because there are loads of wild IRNs living in my area and sometimes I still see her flying over my house whit a flock of five or six birds but regarding the quaker parrot I'm feeling horrible since I don't think that there are more than ten pairs of them in my whole city and they are not in the wild.  I'm feeling like the most miserable bird owner I wanted to save them and made everything worse if you got any clues what I can do please tell me because I am willing to do what I can to get him back but it seems so difficult for me since they just stayed two days in my house and don't know me yet.....

I apologize for bothering you and taking your time but it's just that there's no one going through this whit me and I have no more clues what to do and can't sleep easily so I subjected you guys!
Erfan771
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Quaker parrot and budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: !!! URGENT!!! Lost Quaker

Postby Erfan771 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:18 am

HE IS STILL AROUND ! I just seen him on a tree in a neighbours house and moved his mates cage on the roof they started talking to each other then a idiot kid from the neighbours tried to climb the tree claiming he wants to see him and he flew away ! Now both are quiet again im still waiting for your advise !
Erfan771
Parrotlet

Postby Erfan771 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:48 am

A neighbour found him in his garden but the cat got him first...just finished burying him...i feel so bad
Erfan771
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:25 am

I am sorry for your loss but I don't understand why the birds were outside to begin with...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:12 pm

I am very sorry for your loss. :cry:

This is the ultimate horror for parrot owners. Some are lucky and recover their bird when it gets lost, others are not. I lost Tiki years ago, who ended up flying away, and I never recovered her despite searching for days and days and doing everything I could despite.

All we can try to do is be more secure with our birds, not leave open windows or doors, not ever take them outside, not make any move which can go awry, regardless of the situation. If a door opens at any time, the bird must be in a cage or in a secure place where they can't fly out.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss. It is very sad these things happen. Give yourself time to mourn your parrot. :( :cry:

P.S. I hate cats.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Erfan771 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Pajarita wrote:I am sorry for your loss but I don't understand why the birds were outside to begin with...

They weren't outside they were in my living room and one of them flew away by opening the metal bar of the food bowl. The other one is still whit me and i am super careful now. When i got them i tried my best to secure all the cage dors it just didnt came in my mind that he will be able to open the metal bar...i feel really bad when my other quaker chirps for his dead mate and i feel like crying when i hear him this will be my last mistake regardings my birds im going to be extra carefully now...aswell thanks to you GreenWing for your answer i feel sorry for Tikki and hope he is somewhere fine
Erfan771
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:09 am

OK. But then that means that the windows were open and had no screens and, with birds, that's a NO NO because no matter how careful you think you are, you will either miss something or make a mistake (I learned this the hard way, mind you). If you open windows, they need to have strong screens on them or you will continue to lose birds. AND, you will have to get your screens repaired all the time, too, because they will chew holes in them. It's a pain in the neck but it is part and parcel of keeping birds... as well as part of bird-proofing a home.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erfan771 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:16 pm

Pajarita wrote:OK. But then that means that the windows were open and had no screens and, with birds, that's a NO NO because no matter how careful you think you are, you will either miss something or make a mistake (I learned this the hard way, mind you). If you open windows, they need to have strong screens on them or you will continue to lose birds. AND, you will have to get your screens repaired all the time, too, because they will chew holes in them. It's a pain in the neck but it is part and parcel of keeping birds... as well as part of bird-proofing a home.

You right Pajarita i think i learned it the hard way aswell now. I think closing the windows only is not a solution because theres always the risk that one day i forget to close them so I'm thinking fixing a metal net to my windows from outside so even when the window is open they cant escape. This is usefull aswell for my birds because like this i can open the window when they are outside so they get some natural sunlight. This really was a lesson for me im going to do more research now about bird proofing my house. Aswell im making a new room for the birds now where im going to be extra careful.
Erfan771
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:41 am

The truth of the matter is that no matter how careful we are, things still can happen. I lost some doves and budgies once when I lived in Pa because although the windows were all closed, there was a big storm with strong winds which broke a large branch off a tree and flew it through one of the windows of the birdroom, breaking the glass. I had over 240 birds at the time and only lost 3 doves and 2 budgies which I could never find. I was able to get back a senegal, a quaker and a couple of other budgies and hope the doves went to join a small flock that somebody about 5 miles from me had but I am afraid that the budgies must have been killed by a hawk because they did not know enough not to fly above the tree tops :(

But putting a strong mesh, firmly secured, on the outside of the window will prevent any bird from getting out so thatś a very good idea!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet