Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hatching Lovebirds - Help

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Hatching Lovebirds - Help

Postby Alecat28 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi all. New here and need advice. I have a pair of breeding lovebirds and we’re very near hatch day. They have successfully hatched 2 clutches in the past but the last clutch got shrink wrapped and I lost them all. I live in N. AZ where we’re below freezing. I think with running the fireplace and living in a generally dry area anyhow, the humidity levels are especially poor right now. How can I safely increase humidity while not taking her eggs away and incubating? If I were to incubate to help the hatch succeed, could I put the chicks back with mom after hatching? Thank you in advance for any experience you may share!
Alecat28
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Goffin Cockatoo, Umbrella Cockatoo, Lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Hatching Lovebirds - Help

Postby liz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:06 am

Set up a vaporizer.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Hatching Lovebirds - Help

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:51 am

Well, first thing you need to do is eliminate the fireplace (particulates are real bad for birds and fire consume oxygen -birds need oxygen rich clean air, remember the canaries in the mines?) and yes, as Liz stated, set up a humidifier near them but, in truth, you should have set it up from the very beginning because DIS is caused by lack of humidity while the baby is forming in the egg. Do not incubate, the babies never come out normal... so much so that even breeders stopped doing it.

Also, please re-evaluate your birds' light schedule because they are not supposed to be breeding in the middle of the winter (weak babies and depleted parents).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care