Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot acts mean one day and nice the next

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Parrot acts mean one day and nice the next

Postby Desma » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:21 pm

Since this is my very first parrot I am not surprised to find out that everything I thought I knew is wrong! That is why I felt I should join a group that knows what they are talking about.
I have used an incubator in the past to hatch no more than four baby chicks and I cross bred them and if anybody come into the house, they would think I was beserk because I talked to the eggs and turn them etc. The ones I cross bred and hatched ended up being the healthies and longest living compared to the chicks I got at feed stores. It was when I obtained a wonderful red cochin hen that I stopped using the incubator because she was a wonderful surrogate mother that would take care and sit on anything! It broke my heart to loose her finally she had taken care of so many babies. She got a tumor and I had her put to sleep because I could not cull her. I buried her in the strawberry patch. People think chickens are stupid and basically they are pretty dumb compared to parrots and other birds but this little red cochin new her name and come when I called her and she was smart for a chicken. I have also taken care of baby chipmunks that were removed somehow from their nest and nurtured them.
I have already emailed Barrys farm in Ohio. Thanks for that information. By the way, Margarita has learned a new word, "QUIET"!!! She just said it today for the first time and kept repeating it after me saying it.
Desma
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue front Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:57 pm

Yes, you can use an incubator with chickens, ducks and any other super precocial species because they are born with feathers and take off walking and eating on their own as soon as they come out of the egg so anybody can 'mother' them but parrots are actually different from any other avian species, in that sense, because they are super altricial -no feathers, eyes and ears closed, need parents to take care of them- and that means that a true parent needs to do it because they learn from them. The reason why I said that parrots are different is that they don't follow the rule of thumb when it comes to relationship between protein in the egg and development. See, precocial birds species use a lot of protein in their eggs because the babies need to be fully developed by the time they hatch while altricial species don't because their babies will continue to develop in the nest while being fed by the parents; but parrots use a huge amount of protein in their eggs even though their babies are super altricial and scientists believe that this is because of their big brain and intelligence. Parrots are actually born with an underdeveloped nervous system (even their eyes are not fully 'finished') and they need not only the right conditions of temperature and darkness but also the parents vocalizations and feedings to become 'complete' and well-adjusted and that's why incubator parrots came out dysfunctional. Nobody noticed this for years because, for one thing, it only became noticeable when they were sexually mature and, besides, we did not know what to expect of a pet parrot and they did not last very long (real bad diet from hand-feeding to every day stuff). But, eventually, people started comparing notes and realized that there was something very wrong with them and, as we learned more about them, we realized is was because they had never been exposed to real parents.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Desma » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:35 pm

One thing for sure I have learned is that I know nothing about parrots and need to know. that I why I jointed this group. I appreciate the information.
When I have used my incubator, it was for only four or five eggs that were fertilized and cross bred. If people come into the house they would certainly think I was nuts because I talk to the eggs. The ones I hatched myself are way healthier and live way longer than the chicks I got at feed stores. I stopped using the incubator when I obtained a wonderful red chochin hen that made a wonderful surrogate mother and was a great mother hen. It made her so happy to raise chicks and it was a blessing to see her take care of them. She was a real pet that knew her name and come when I called her. The bad news is that she got a tumor and I had to end up putting her down and she is buried in the strawberry patch. I know a lot of people would think I was nuts for having a hen put down rather than jut cull it myself but she was a pet. I cannot cull any of my hens by the way. I have also rescued and raised baby chipmunks that have been somehow removed from their nest.
Found out that Margarita loves the old Off the Wall album. She even started singing to it. I would really like to be able to figure out a lot of parrot body language. Do we have a section on that on this site?
Desma
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:19 pm

Welcome to the "The only thing I know about parrots with any certainty is that I don't know anywher near enough?" Any good owner belongs to it. And, no, we don't have a section in body language because, in truth, it would have to be the size of the British Encyclopedia! There are way too many species, all of them with their own body language, individuals with quirks, and so many aberrant behaviors in captivity that, in order to 'catch' them all, we would need hundreds and hundreds of pages.

But I can tell you that zons LOVE music and singing opera style! :lol: Mami Zon actually asks for music in the morning. If she feels that I am taking too long to turn on the radio, she goes: "TraLaLa? TraLaLa?" She loves to sing along with me - she doesn't know the lyrics and doesn't even follow the melody but then I am also terrible when it comes to singing so we happily sing out of key together :lol: And, she definitely has favorites! She loves tangos, country and R&B and prefers women singers.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Desma » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Sorry about the double post. I must have had a brain fart and didn't realize that my first message was properly posted. That is why I typed a similar message.
Desma
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:31 am

No problem.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training