Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Birds, parrot, cat problem, free flight

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Birds, parrot, cat problem, free flight

Postby Stelios » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:29 pm

What cats do, as everyone knows but some prefer not to think about, is kill wild birds They have good reason to be nervous, because a predator lies in wait. It’s a great big black cat that we have spotted, on occasion, stalking the birds from the roof of the shed. This sends them into paroxysms of chirruping panic. Katherine shooed the cat away, but who knows whether it will come back while we’re out, to drag the poor chicks from their carefully constructed but worryingly vulnerable nest and kill them?
I notice that often cat-lovers think of themselves as lovers of animals. But how? Do they wipe from their minds what their cats do when they’re prowling outside?
millions every year, according to the RSPB.
Here are these two birds bringing up their families in our garden, feeding their bleating chicks, and along comes the domestic cat, a ruthless hunter introduced by humans to mess up the natural order of things.
“Belling the cat” (that is, hanging a bell around the animal’s neck, as in Aesop’s fable) ought to be the minimum cat owners do.
At least that would warn birds of their presence. I would go further – cat owners should stop their pets reproducing indiscriminately. It would also be better if cats were kept indoors.
If you own a cat, what it gets up to it is your responsibility. If your pet goes out and slaughters millions of birds and chicks, it is your business.Most cat-lovers presumably accept this, but do not mind what their pets do. They may think there are enough birds, or if they do have qualms then their love of their pet over-rides them. A friend told me yesterday with a shrug that she has no birds in her garden. Of course she doesn’t: she has a cat.
Another told me how one day she had rejoiced to see that a wren had made its home outside her kitchen window – only for her cat to drop the tiny bird’s corpse through the cat flap.
I imagine that to its owner the big black cat is a cuddly, adored companion; but to our children, seeing it menacing the fledglings, it is the enemy.
They are fervently hoping that the long-tailed chicks in their house of bark and spiders’ webs will escape the attentions of Felix for long enough to fly away. Is there a way I can get rid of cats in my neighbourhood. Or eliminate them humanly some how to protect my garden birds. And I Love to let my parrot outside for a free flight, my caique is trained to come back and equipped with micro gps tracker but it would be safer for him if I eliminate cats.
Stelios
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: I have a white-bellied caique named Aster. To describe him in one word would be “clown.” He’s nonstop from the time he gets up in the morning until he goes to sleep. If he’s not hanging upside down playing with a toy, he’s on his back wrestling another toy.
Flight: Yes

Re: Birds, parrot, cat problem, free flight

Postby Darko » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi, my neighbour got a cat and I wasn't a wear of it. The cat somehow manages to enter my apartment and manage to kill and eat my lovely Lovebirds. Cats should not be outside. They are an INVASIVE species. Want proof? Go read up on what happened to the Kakapo due to introduced predators such as cats and stoats. Or the Stephen Islands.My lovebirds were trained to fly outside and I spend 3 years of my life training them and taking great care of them. My parrots were following me everywhere. My neighbour still searching for his cat ;-) just poison all cats in your neighbourhood and problem solved. I will teach macaw to free fly and will have to do free flight training all over again;-( Can you please let me know what kind of GPs are you using to track your Caique?
Darko
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: peach faced lovebird

Postby Stelios » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:49 am

I understand your point of view , there is no need for domestic cats to go outdoors and kill innocent animals , it’s not for survival as they have food at home , and it’s not safe for cats also to roam outdoors freely , cat owners shouldn’t inflict their cats onto other animals that have the right to live too , their lives are as important , why you have to catproof your flat if it’s the neighbours cat , so everyone that lives near a free roaming cat should cat proof their's. My neighbor cat will cross over into lala land soon -I don't see another solution. I'm using toppin d3 micro GPs to track my parrot, but if you are going to fly macaw you can use trackimo.
Stelios
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: I have a white-bellied caique named Aster. To describe him in one word would be “clown.” He’s nonstop from the time he gets up in the morning until he goes to sleep. If he’s not hanging upside down playing with a toy, he’s on his back wrestling another toy.

Postby Stelios » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:44 am

My wife and I are both avid bird lovers, and she is a bird photographer. We go to great lengths and expense to attract as many types and numbers of birds to our backyard as we can.
We are quite successful in doing so, but our neighbor’s cat is also quite fond of them and is quite an avid hunter — murderer is more like it.

I have asked our neighbor nicely to keep their cat out of our yard, but nothing has changed. We have a totally fenced yard; I have tried sprays and granules that are supposed to repel cats, and my wife and I both chase the cat out of the yard whenever we see it.

This cat is on a mission to kill and is not afraid of us. It is well-fed and does not need our birds. Our question is, what is our right as homeowners? If the neighbor does not want to be respectful and keep the cat inside, what can we do? Can we trap it and take it in?

I personally believed that parrots had to free fly, so I took my birds for a free flight every spring and summer. They fly around a house and land in our garden. My birds are trained and they always come back to me. That is another reason I would like to solve this cat problem even if I send a cat to lala land.
Stelios
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:51 am

I am apalled at the lack of empathy both of you show for animals... Yes, cats are predators and yes, they were originally an invasive species but they are now considered naturalized everywhere -same as pigeons and rats, for example. But just because they are natural predators it doesn't mean it's OK to kill them!

Free flight is dangerous to birds. Proffessional trainers lose their highly trained birds all the time - it's a fact of life (there is fairly recent posting about a zoo trainer losing a bird). Parrots are undomesticated species that are not trained in survival skills by their parents as Nature ordained so they are pretty much sitting ducks out there for anything to happen to them if they are not on a leash. Please consider buying a harness and training your bird to fly with one. Even Michael learned that free flight is not a viable option...

As to the neighbor cat, I sincerely hope you don't consider doing the evil action of poisoning the poor animal. It's not his fault he is allowed outside or that he was born a cat, with a cat's natural instincts. But aside from moral considerations, you can be charged with animal cruelty and end up in jail and sued if you kill or wound it. Your neighbor should not allow the cat out but it's still HIS cat and killing companion animals is illegal everywhere. You can also be charged if you take somebody else's cat to the shelter - there are microchips that would identify the owner and they require your leaving your name and address when you bring in a stray animal (precisely because people would claim they are strays when they are not - you don't actually believe you are the first one to think of doing this, are you?). Also, the only people who put any type of collar on a cat is people who don't know any better as they are dangerous to them. There are sprays that prevent a cat from spraying and scratching so you might be able to use that around your backyard. You might also consider getting a small yappy dog and let it out every time you see the cat in your backyard. I feed feral cats in my backyard and my dogs would run after them and scare them off if they are lounging around when they go out - they never catch them and, even if they did, they would not hurt them because they are fine with cats (I have my own indoor ones) but it works. Have you tried scaring the cat away with noise every time he comes into your backyard?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks