Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help I found a MACAW

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Help I found a MACAW

Postby KASKOW » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 am

Dear all,
This is my first time that I write something I want in the Internet usually I get my answers by going through internet.
5 Days ago I saw a guy who was on top of a one floor building next to my fathers house who was holding a Blue and Gold macaw from it's leg and neck which I hated to be honest, I went to him and told him if it's his bird with a way making him feel that its mine just to see if he owned the bird, I was right it wasn't his, so I went and brought a cat cage ( it was the only thing I had at that time ) let the man put the bird in the cage straight to my house and put him in a big comfortable cage.
I went and called a friend of mine who had some parrots and he saw the ring on his leg that had a code and number on it, I put a post on social media for whom this bird might be.
I currently have him in my apartment in a big cage feeding him bird food I got from a bird shop. The problem now that I am facing is how to take care of it. I give him food when he is in the cage safely. I then tried from outside the cage to give him bird food with my hands open the first time he bit my hand but not too hard and ate the food,the second time in a matter of minutes I gave him a sliced apple with my hands open ( he ate it one time when he was in the cage) and he ignored the apple and bit my finger but the bite was like softly to a hard bite in a moment I moved my hand away.
He doesn't make a lot of sounds as I have read about it, but I feel sometimes he's calling me like purring, sometimes his eye pins and sometimes he stands there swinging from side to side. when I approach the Macaw it some times stays still and some times goes to the other side of the cage as if it is scared of me.
I can go on telling you what happened in these past 5 days but it would take me a whole day to write it down.
I am trying to help the bird to get to its owner but I feel it's my responsibility to take care of it.
Please I need some one to help me with my situation.

Thank you for reading.
KASKOW
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Macaw Blue & Gold
Flight: No

Re: Help I found a MACAW

Postby KASKOW » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:27 am

by the way he is 3 YEARS OLD.
KASKOW
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Macaw Blue & Gold
Flight: No

Re: Help I found a MACAW

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:58 am

You need to call the local rescues and post him in Parrot911.com both the website and the FB page. You also need to put posters without the picture or the band number, just a generic FOUND BIRD around the neighborhood where you found him because this bird belongs to somebody and I bet his owner is heartbroken.

Do not offer him food from you hand. Parrots are not like dogs, they are not people oriented and, even though they do love their own human, they don't like every single human they meet - especially strangers. I know that it sounds terribly ungrateful of him to bite you when you saved him but that's a parrot to you :lol: They think that we are put on this earth to provide for them and feel no gratitude at all for it :D It's not that they are ingrates, it's that, in the wild, they don't really have to work for their food (they are not predators) so, to them, food is something that should be found laying around.

Please don't feed him petstore food - it's never really good for them. Macaws need a huge amount of plant material, mostly fruits but also veggies and leafy greens. Some cooked whole grains will be very good for his breakfast but after he eats his produce. And a measured amount of nuts for dinner - like a walnut, an almond or two and a pistachio or two.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions