Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

To tame a parent rear

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

To tame a parent rear

Postby Loveywithoutthedovey » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:49 pm

Hi,
I am looking to get a young lovebird.
I may be able to get hand rear but due to price most likely not.
So I can get one of more common young parent rear birds.

I have had a parent rear before but only up until hand feeding due to a cold gone wrong. (Later entrapped tail and then death by fright).

What would you suggest in taming a parent rear?
I can feed them but what about getting them out the cage and back in and interaction?

Not all birds like to step up and not everyone who owns them does it. Can you get them back in the cage without step up or a net?
Loveywithoutthedovey
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: To tame a parent rear

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:51 am

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you can tame any animal so, of course that parent-raised birds can be tamed. They will never have the kind of bond that a human and a hand-raised companion bird would have but they can learn to trust a human if the taming is done the right way -and that, in a nutshell is the Gordian knot: the method used for taming. I don't really believe in taming aviary species and using them as companions (I am a bird lover so, to me, the bird's happiness comes first) but it can be done.

And, yes, if you feed the right diet and follow the same, exact schedule every single day (and this means EVERY SINGLE DAY!), even birds that are not tamed will go back into their cage on their own. My budgies and the lonely plet I have now (I am trying to find him a home with a female or might get him one myself, if I don't find a good home for him) do and none of them are tamed at all.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Loveywithoutthedovey » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:08 am

What method of taming would you recommend?
Loveywithoutthedovey
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am

I do not recommend taking aviary birds, my dear. I think it does them no favor as it's a very lonely and stressful life for them because it's completely different from the life they evolved to have and the only life that makes them happy but, if you have to do it, then take your time and show him you can be trusted without actually doing anything and NEVER use a flooding technique (terribly cruel to the poor little thing!). I used to have large flocks of budgies, tiels and lovebirds when I had the rescue and I never did anything but simply put out food for them and talk softly and they all trusted me, they perched on me, followed me around the room, etc. Liz has a small flock of rescued tiels and although none of them came to her tamed, they all love her now, perch on her, give her kisses, etc. Just feed it right (which means not free-feeding protein and giving them produce every day), keep it at a strict solar schedule so it's healthy (birds are photoperiodic so the only way they stay healthy is if they follow the sun seasons) and spend as much time as you can in the same room talking, singing an whistling. Do not stare at the bird (only predators do that), do not put your hand in his cage (it destroys trust) and do not attempt to touch him. Once the bird is an adult and has learned that you are not threat to him and that you will not impose your will on him, you can start target training inside the cage. Once you see the bird is eager for the interaction, you can start target training outside the cage and offering some sort of seed (millet?) from your hand.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training