Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Learning as we go!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Learning as we go!

Postby Willow1der » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Any advise I can get is helpful, so if John has info on this situation, I’m all ears. I think the site crashed for a few days, so I didn’t see your post for a few days. I will do everything possible to keep him comfortable and not perpetuate his condition, and hopefully improve it. He does love to talk to us, and I spend hours talking to him and keeping him company. My ultimate goal, obviously, is to prolong his life and improve his quality of life. I’ll keep you posted!
Willow1der
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double yellow-headed Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:29 am

I cut my Amazons fruit and veg breakfast in pieces big enough to pick up. They are the last of my critters to get fed so I give them a nut (pistachio, walnut and such) to hold them off until I get to them. I give them an almond in the shell with supper.

I use a tablespoon of lemon juice in two quarts of water to rinse the veg in after it is cut. The juice mixture keeps the fruit and veg fresh all day.
I use the frozen mixed veg added to their grain for breakfast.

Rainbow and Myrtle both came to me on bad diets. Myrtle only got seed. Rainbow got a lot of junk food. Since Myrtle, my BF, wants anything I have I share while she is on my shoulder. She will eat anything I have and I can add it to their diet. Rainbow, my DTH, leans from Myrtle what is good to eat.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:04 am

I sent John a pm this morning (sorry, I had forgotten to do it earlier). I will help as much as I can but you need to be EXTREMELY observant and I would strongly suggest you keep daily notes about his behavior, appetite and poop. I have a VERY good memory (not as good as it used to be when I was younger but still pretty good) but, with new and sick birds, I always keep notes. Granted that I have a number of birds and you only the one but it still helps to be able to compare notes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:43 am

John is not feeling well and cannot post right now. Thankfully, he contacted me because I was getting really worried about him...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Introductions