Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:50 am

In 1994 to 1996 I was in the hospital for long periods of time. The longest on was 45 days. I was in the local hospital for 30 days then put in an ambulance to go to a larger hospital in Winston-Salem for 15 days. They took my calendar so I would not know what day it was or how long I was there.
There were also times I only spent 26 and 28 days. My shortest was 16.

I wanted to go visit Aunt B. I tried to get all the dogs out of the house to go to Charles. They are used to me going out first so were reluctant to go. While telling them to get out of the house, Myrtle helped when she said "MOVE IT".

I stold a kiss from Flutter. He did not seem to mind and stayed near me after that. Tommy always wants a kiss and the others are watching him. They are all getting really close to watch Tommy and me do kisses.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 am

"MOVE IT!" :lol: My birds also 'help me' with the dogs telling them to "SHUT UP!" when they bark.

I don't know how you managed to stay in the hospital for so long without going crazy!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:03 am

I was too sick to know what day it was. Baptist hospital took my calendar away. I kept telling them that they better figure it out fast because I was going home on the week end.

I can see, hear and speak while I am asleep. One surgery took 4 days to wake up. When I woke up I asked how long I had been asleep. The nurses hated me. It seems that I was really mean to the nurses. They had to bring in a male nurse from a different unit to take care of me because the others refused to go in my room. I wonder what I did to them to them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:09 am

Phoenix had been running down his ladder head first then flipping over when he got to the bottom. He can now run the ladder head first and not flip over when he got to the floor.

Impy has claimed a nest box. There is nothing going on in it. He seems to think that if he waits there long enough that a female will come to him. It might work exept that the flock is short by 2 females. Poor little guy. Last year he found an egg in the middle of the room and was trying to get it under him. Not being able to stand he could not do it.

I just had a memory. When Tommy and Tammy were young they would take turns sitting on the nest. Tommy always took a toy with him to play with while he sat on the eggs. I have a picture of it somewhere.

Tommy and Tammy are nesting now with Shadow sitting outside the box. When Tammy wants to nest she ignores Shadow and takes Tommy back. I don't understand this. Tommy and Tammy sit together on the nest at night. It is so cute.

When I have to sweep the kitchen floor, Rainbow will sit and watch me while I clean up in his step stool box. He found the other step stool yesterday and went under it. I had to take it away.

Rainbow has been leaving her step stool and following me around the house. I have to shuffle my feet to keep from stepping on her. I must look like an old ladies shuffle.

I do not look my age and was even carded to get a 50+ discount. Shuffling must make me look closer to the 69 that I am.

Many of the birds want to kiss me like Tommy does. They have been coming close to a quarter of an inch from my lips. Jackie is still doing the "kiss my wing" thing.

I have been opening the cockatiel window at sun up every morning. It is so funny seeing 7 cockatiels bunched up on the window sill. It makes their room easier to clean when I only have Phoenix following me around. Impy just watches from the top of a cage.

Myrtle has been back talking loud so she won't have to hear me. I have been shaking a paper towel tube at her and sometimes it works. Yesterday I smacked the table bedside her and she didn't even flinch. She is a bad toddler.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 am

A 'bad toddler'? :lol: My zons are driving me crazy, too! Nadia is always trying to go to Zoey and Sweetpea Senegal's cage and doesn't want to come out no matter how much I try to 'talk her into it' and Zeus has been chewing the boards all around the birdroom and looking at me with blood in his eye whenever I get close to their cage (I've put a number of boxes in it and have closed the door to it and left one of the food bowls doors open so they can go in and out in an effort to make them focus on the cage and nowhwere else but it hasn't been working too good - yet. Be careful not to breed your tiels again, Liz.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:17 am

So far no eggs have been fertile. I have fake eggs on standby.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:00 am

Liz, the trick is not to wait for the egg to 'show' fertile but to exchange them as soon as they are laid. The thing is that you need to wait days to candle the eggs and, by then, if the egg is fertile, there is already a baby forming in there... Personally and although I am 100% against breeding pet parrots, I would never be able to destroy an egg that already has a baby in it so the best thing is to switch them when the parents haven't started incubating them (which makes the baby start to form).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 am

All my cockatiels have abandoned their nests. I don't know why but I am happy about it.

Myrtle bit my face when I picked up Rainbow to "help" him up. There is no reason why she should do this except that she is being mean. She is banned from my shoulder and is confused by it.

I tripped on an uneven stepping stone at Citrus Memorial while visiting my aunt. I went down and got skid marks on my cheek, around my eye and on my nose and top lip. The same wrist got soft tissue damage again and I have to wear a brace.
It is the least painful but most visible of my falls.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:34 am

Sheesh, Liz! Do you think that maybe you need a cane?

As to Myrtle, she is hormonal, that's why she is being 'mean' and bit you (jealousy). They are all like that this time of the year... even Naida, which is ALWAYS the sweetest and most delicate thing (she steps up to your finger with the outmost gentleness), grabbed my finger kind of hard the other day when she was in Zoey and Sweetpea's cage (she has taken to sneaking in it whenever they are all out) and I insisted she stepped up so I could put her back on top of her own cage. She did not bite me (didn't even bruise or make an indentation on the flesh) but she did grab it hard like when they are warning you not to do something or not to push a request they do not want to grant.

Something must have happened that startled the tiels because they should all be still in breeding condition - either that or they are all going into the second clutch (there is always a hiatus between clutches).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:11 am

I counted Tiels last night when I got home from the hospital. There were not enough. I will have to get on my hands and knees and find out where they are hiding. I have paper down to help control the poops but only do full cleaning once a week. I will have to do a full cleaning early this week to find them and their nests.

I know that the birds are not getting the attention they need with me spending so many hours away from home. Aunt B went into the nursing home again yesterday and I feel easier about leaving her there. She has friends there that will tell me if something is wrong. Her friends are all alert and with it. I was spending 4or 5 hours with her at the hospital but can move that back to an hour now. I need to re get in touch with my babies.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care