Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Navre » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm

This all sounds like great news. I had a potential mate for my GCC, he’s 9 years old, but he has asymptomatic PDD. He had a couple of seizures when he was 2, so he was tested and the test came back positive, but he’s never had another problem. I suspect the test was a false positive, but I won’t take the chance.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 am

Well, I certainly would not risk it either! But, for what I understand, false positives are rare = the false negatives being more common. But a crop biopsy is not that invasive and (again, as far as I know) it's the most reliable. Have they tried that at the rescue? He is at the rescue, right?

In any case, a male will eventually show up for adoption in CL, Kijiji or RescueMe. If you look there all the time, you find the bird you want - well, for some species you need to look everyday for a looooong time - I've been searching and searchin in NJ, NY, De and Pa for over a year for a female caique and I haven't been able to find a single one!

And I forgot to tell you, guys! I also got a mate for Rajah Plet! I had put him up for adoption but could not find anybody who had an unattached adult female for him -the greatest majority of people who applied (I had made it clear that the person needed to have knowledge AND experience and that he was only being rehomed because he had lost his mate) had a single tiel, a single budgie, a single lovebird or even one of a larger species. People kept on saying that they would provide the bird company - as if that was even possible! There was a lady in Pa who claimed to have three of them but, when I asked her for genders, set-up, etc. she never replied again. So, one day, I saw an ad for a female plet and I answered it thinking that I would get her, switch her to a good diet, make her bond with Rajah and then put the both of them up for adoption but, when she came in, I started hesitating and my husband said to just keep the both of them - at least for now. The reason for my hesitation was that she is very young, only 8 months old, and she is clipped which would necessitate her staying grounded for an entire year. The couple who had bought her wanted to make a pet out of her so they clipped her and kept on grabbing her and walking around with her in their hand, touching her, etc which only resulted in the poor thing being extremely shy and highstrung (she is parent-fed) so it's going to take quite a while for her to calm down and start trusting people again. As the whole thing is going to take some time to resolve, I decided to keep them for now and wait for their situation to become more 'manageable' for the new owner. And they are doing great! She is a pretty little thing, a more powder-blue than turquoise with gray wings. Her ex-name was Blueberry but I don't like to use nouns as names for animals so I changed it to Rani, which is the wife (princess or queen) of the Rajah (prince or king) in Sanskrit. I asked my husband to take pictures of the birds because I haven't posted any in a long time and you will be able to see the two new ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 pm

I love p’lets, we have only had a few since I’ve been at the rescue. Maybe 3? A pair and a single if I remember right.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:06 am

Although I have seen menage-a-trois that work out real well, it was always something they chose in the middle of a flock - meaning, it wasn't for lack of a potental mate but because they prefered it that way. I usually discourage keeping three of any small species (and, in truth, I think that in larger species, the only one that really works out well is amazons) because, even if there is no fighting, one of them is being short-changed - and I don't like that.

Plets are the cutest thing, no doubt about it! And so very easy to keep - they are excellent eaters and keep to themselves so they are really no trouble at all if kept the right way. It's shame that people try to tame them and keep them as companions... most of these end up all plucked, the poor things.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 08, 2019 11:38 am

I am really past due for a complete update but am way too complicated these days because it's not only breeding season for birds (more chewing, more aggression, changing diet), it's also kitten season (adopted the fourth and last kitten of the first litter of the season this morning), plus my husband has been working 6 out of 7 days of the week so he is never home, the last rescue dog we took in had surgery exactly one week ago but, because it was major (neutering with only one testicle descended, dental AND perineal hernia -which is a very serious thing as they have to resect the intestine and sew it back together so the dog cannot move too much, has to eat special food and take stool softneners, cannot run, cannot jump, etc) I have to watch him constantly, clean his incisions three times a day and carry him up and down the stairs. And, to put the icing on the cake, we have construction starting tomorrow morning so I have to move all the living and dining room birds because we are building another bathroom off the dining room (also replacing a window for a bigger one and installing a skylight in the attic, remodeling the kitchen and knocking down and replacing the porch).
But I had to tell you the great news! I found a caique to be a companion to Javi! I had been looking for one since I first got him because, as you all know, I like to give all my birds companions of their own species if, for nothing else, to have a birdy that shares their own language and this one was the very first one I found in CL in over a year (there aren't any in rescues, either).

Now, it's supposed to be a DNA'd male but there is no paperwork (he was also supposed to have been vetted) so this might not be so as the bird 'story' kept on changing with the back and forth emails I had with the previous owner. But I can tell you that it's a yellow thigh in soft molt and with overgrown nails and beak (which is no surprise as he was being free-fed Harrison's pellets and his treats were walnuts and dry fruit - why would anybody feed dry fruit to a bird is beyond me!) so he is now getting the full liver treatment. Another thing I can tell you is that this little thing was desperate for 'wet' food! He started taking chunks out off the cantaloupe as I was cutting chunks for them AND dove into the budgies plate of gloop and started eating as if there was no tomorrow!. I need to think about what supplements to give him because he was also getting waaayyy too much red palm oil which, most likely, affected the liver, too.

The other two new birds are doing good but I think that the male GCC is not a male but a female - which makes me no never mind as they get along just fine with Codee and that's all that matters to me. He or she is eating very well, the plucked feathers are growing back and it's now coming out every morning for two hours of flight - unfortunately, i can't do it for longer because I have to use the food in the cage for it to go back in but I might be able to teach it to step up to a stick later on (it'll take time for it to completely calm down - still too high strung).

Now, the only one that doesn't have another bird to talk to is Keku Quaker - well, Linus too and Sophie CAG also but they seem quite happy with each other so if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue May 14, 2019 7:55 am

I’m so glad you found a caique. We have one at the rescue, now. I ah ent been down there in months, but I’ve seen pictures of him. They’re funny little birds. I’m glad they’re all doing so well.

I use walnut pieces as treats for Nicky. He will even ask for them by name. I figured one or two a day would be okay. The total amount of walnut is probably a bout a half a walnut a day, or less.
I used to use pistachios, but I think he actually got more but that way.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 am

I am in the middle of remodeling (kitchen, bigger window and skylight in attic) plus new construction (another bathroom and, after, new porch) so everything extra is on hold because it's hard enough keeping everybody clean, watered, fed and not too stressed out BUT, as soon as I get everything back under control, I am going to have both of caiques DNA'd to see what is what. I am also going to have both Codee and the new GCC DNAd because I always assumed that Codee was a female because she had bonded to a male but she has never laid so it's not a sure thing - and the new one which was supposed to be a male but on which I have serious doubts -I am no expert and in truth, I couldn't say what it is that I see in them that gives me the idea of one gender or another but I am usually pretty good - not infallible, mind you, but pretty good.

And don't worry about the protein in a walnut for Nicky, they are not only medium/large birds, they also can stand much more protein than any South American bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 am

Condorito is coming out of his honeymoon stage and he has gotten into his head to bother Javi all the time so I've had to have them out in turns, one in the cage, one out, switch for a while, switch back again and so on and so forth. I will also put their cages side by side (once I can get all my good china and crystal from the table where they are until I can paint the wainscoating and wall behind the china cabinet in the kitchen) because, with people, familiarity breeds contempt but, with birds, familiarity breeds acceptance and seeing one another up close but not being able to interact eventually inures them to each other's presence. I've done this before many times and it works - for some it takes longer and for others shorter but it always works as long as they are not overly hormonal. And that's another thing, Condorito is overly hormonal, he makes the movement to regurgitate even though he brings up nothing and has been masturbating on my hand and feet (I wore a pair of flip flops one day and he fell in love with my toes, runs after my feet, climbs up on them and masturbates on my toes... crazy bird! :lol: ) But, aside from that, he is doing VERY well! He hasn't tried to bite me or my husband once (although my husband is afraid of him when he goes after his feet), is eating produce like a champ and -drumroll- he is learning his name! He has had the same name since he was born but he did not respond to it but, now, when he is bothering Javi climbing up his cage and taunting him I say his name real loud and firmly and he immediately starts climbing down. He has also learned the meaning of BAD BIRD! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:31 am

I love reading your updates.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:53 am

Thanks, John. Once I finish with the remodeling (only painting, putting up shelves, hanging pictures, etc) and, hopefully, before I go into my next project: my grand-daughter Larissa's 15th birthday next month (we celebrate the 15th while you celebrate the 16th - she will have both, though -the advantage of being bi-cultural :D ) I will try to get my husband to take pictures of the birds because you haven't seen the new ones.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you about something quite rare: I have a singing female canary! I thought I had two males from the last time I bred them so I put each of them in a separate cage once they started singing but, once this breeding season came around, one of the 'males' started pulling paper from the bottom of the cage, made a nest in its seed bowl and laid eggs! Not a male but a female that sang! So, OK, it's not common but it's not THAT rare in songbred canaries of champion bloodlines to every now and then produce a female that does BUT, in 99.99% of the cases, these females would stop singing once they hit their first breeding season and never sing again - but LO AND BEHOLD this one is still doing it! So I guess she is one of those really rare ones that sings all her life. Mind you, they don't sound as good a male, but they do sing... Now I am definitely going to have to breed this one because, obviously, those good song genes are strong in her.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales