Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cassowary kills owner

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Cassowary kills owner

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 am

People and their unquenchable thirst for exotic animals... Why would anybody in his right mind keep dangerous animals?! We have rheas back home (we call them Ñandus) and, although they are not anywhere as dangerous as the cassowaries, we know to stay away from them. Their legs are incredibly long and strong and they use them to attack as well as their large beaks. These birds are taller than people!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/ ... fa1fe041ce
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Cassowary kills owner

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:40 am

The man didn't have a permit for them (the permit requires experience which this man -obviously- did not have) because breeders are exempt from it. The stupidest thing I've ever heard! I mean, you would think that if anybody needs experience and knowledge would be a breeder, right?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/victi ... ar-BBVYSis
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:16 am

More on the same subject. This one is about how zookeepers stay safe when dealing with cassowaries. Mind you, if you ask me, this death is on PIJAC! They are the ones that are always lobbying not to change any animal laws when dangerous animals like this one should be banned from private ownership.

https://www.insideedition.com/media/vid ... irds-52283
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Seigfield and Roy had to have tigers.

My sister tried to save a dog that didn’t even have any wolf in him, but he had been raised with wolves. That poor dog could not be trained not to bite people (and my sister is excellent with dogs. She has taken other “hopeless cases” and turned them into friendly dogs). The dog bit me a few times. Bit her boyfriend all the time, but the third time he bit people outside the household, she had to put him down. It wasn’t t the dogs fault. He had been raised with wild animals.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:59 pm

I knew of a guy who had rattlesnakes, and a cobra. As far as I know he’s still alive, but I don’t know for sure.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:16 am

And now they are looking to auction the killer bird off - along with another 100 exotic animals the man kept in his property. People have this hunger for the exotic, even if it kills them and they just do NOT learn from their mistakes, do they?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/24/us/c ... orida.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby molinash19350 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:00 pm

i just read this today and honestly it really shocked me because this bird is really dangerous but they still want to sell it.
molinash19350
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 am

Well, these birds are very expensive and people who keep exotic species are NEVER animal lovers so, to them, it makes perfect sense to make some money out of the tragedy.

I had not read your posting on the poor dog raised with wolves, John. How sad! I bet your sister was devastated by her decision to put him down. Not that I blame her, I am just saying that, if it had been me, it would have been a terrible decision to make...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General & Off Topic