Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Funky Feathers

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Funky Feathers

Postby Tikithemacaw » Sat May 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Hi, I have a 3 year old Blue and Gold Macaw named Tiki. Some of her feathers are weird and choppy like she is nibbling on them. I've only had her for around 3 months. When I got her, her feathers were like that but since then as they've like grown or whatever they've gotten worse. She seems happy, she has a bunch of toys and stuff and I pay her alot of attention so idk what's up. I'm going to try to attach a pic but I've never used this thing before so idk if it will work.
Tikithemacaw
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and gold macaw
Flight: No

Re: Funky Feathers

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 05, 2019 8:53 am

Welcome to the forum! I can't tell for sure without seeing a picture but, going by your description, it sounds as if your bird is barbering. And, I am sorry to say, that is NOT a good thing in a bird that is not even an adult yet because it indicates some serious problem when the bird was a baby. I am not talking disease here (although I highly recommend you rule it out with a completely physical because it could be), I am talking either mishandling or, most likely, stress from not being fed right. It happens a lot with macaws because breeders sell them as 'weaned' and people see a baby macaw so big that they think it's grown and that it can eat adult food without a problem when macaws should be handfed until they are 8 or 9 months old and offered two different kinds of soft food served warm and fresh twice a day. Most people don't know this and don't do it thereby causing terrible emotional stress in a baby that is going hungry and without the comfort of being fed by mommy or daddy. It does things to their heads...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care