Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Vitamin A veggies and fruits for Parrots (a list)

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Vitamin A veggies and fruits for Parrots (a list)

Postby GreenWing » Mon May 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Pajarita wrote:I appreciate the bumping but it seems to me that most of the stuff recommended here has been debunked or 'rethought'. I mean, the 'parrot nutrition is very complex and that's why we should feed pellets' is actually not correct at all any longer...

A couple of things -

The purpose of this thread that I started a LONG time ago is to share a list of vitamin A fresh foods for parrots. It was incredibly helpful for me way back in the day and I bumped it to share with the newer members of the forum and to provide helpful information for visitors unsure of what to feed their parrots, nutrition wise.

Nutrition is important for parrot owners to research in general. While I personally have changed my views over the years on certain things (pellets, tomatoes) the information in the list about fruits and veggies is still very much useful. Still to this day I appreciate the input GreyMoon offered (whom I miss around here) and agree with her input that pellets are essentially multivitamins - I have recently referred to them as Cliff bars for parrots, myself.

But this thread isn't about pellets. The title says it all.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 07, 2019 8:54 am

Maybe, in the future, you might want to give a little explanation of what is useful and what is not when you bump up an old thread because most people would not discern the difference.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Tue May 07, 2019 11:22 am

Pajarita wrote:Maybe, in the future, you might want to give a little explanation of what is useful and what is not when you bump up an old thread because most people would not discern the difference.

If people ask, I'll explain.

But in any case - I have an idea. Why don't you start writing down some veggies and fruits and any nutritional changes and I'll either add them to this list OR I'll create a new post with modifications.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 08, 2019 9:07 am

I don't really think it's needed. I mean, there is a trove of information on dietary issues on the forum, people only need to look for it.

But, when it comes to vit A, any dark leafy green, yellow or orange veggie/fruit is good and all that is needed (no red palm oil, please!). No list is really necessary, just look at the color of the produce and it will be fine. But, in reality, when it comes to nutrition in general, blue and purple is better.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby neetabhale » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:07 am

It is helpful post. Thanks for sharing list of vitamin A rich foods for parrots.
neetabhale
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebirds

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:43 am

Welcome to the forum but, please, read all postings and not just the first one because there might be updates or corrections to the original post. We have learned a lot in the last 20 years or so but we are also discovering new things all the time about birds, their physiology and nutrition.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Paterson009 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:53 pm

hat's great. Thank you for sharing the list of parrot foods rich in vitamin A
Paterson009
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Bananaboohoo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:45 pm

Can Budgies eat all of these? I'm trying to inprove Tigger and Bunny's diet. :budgie:
Bananaboohoo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:41 am

Yes, budgies can eat anything any other parrot can BUT they are not big on fruits or even veggies if you served them separately (as in a chunk or piece stuck between the bars). In my personal experience, budgies ADORE greens (mine would not even wait until I had finished putting it between the bars, they would start eating it as soon as I put my hand in the cage) and are willing to eat veggies or fruits as long as they are chopped or diced and mixed with grains (as in gloop). Aside from that, they would eat corn on the cob on their own (all birds love fresh corn).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby ringosmom » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:29 pm

so all that are on the list, are good for parrots, or better then others...living in Mexico, there are many, that we just find on the ground, or can get in abundance...Mangos are almost in, and someone is always offering us a papaya...I have started a garden, and have planted collards...and have sweet potatoes growing also...this is a wonderful list....
ringosmom
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Mexican parrotlet
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet