Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Forever Home

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Forever Home

Postby DanaandPod » Sat May 11, 2019 12:25 pm

I need a forever home for my male Jardine and female Meyers. Both are about 9 years old. Both came from severe neglect. They are each other's flock and can't be separated. I have dedicated my life to them revolving entirely around them. They're bonded to me. I worked hard at creating a food regiment for them. Seven mornings a week they are ready on their flight perches to fly laps and do tricks. I have not missed a day. They mean everything in this world to me. I have no family. The last died. Its been a rough few years. They are used to 25+ hours outside cage a week. And, being in the same room with me. Nothing hurts more and is tearing me apart. But, I have no hope in providing them a home with a yard to take them out. I lost my car. Im trapped in the city and am burnt out. It's a jeckyl and Hyde situation. They destroyed my apartment. They bite me out of jealousy. We are in an efficiency. It's like I'm living in a cage. I've been keeping it a secrete. I've also tried to reach out. Only to be ignored. I don't know what to do.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Forever Home

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 12, 2019 9:47 am

Oh, my goodness! I am so sorry you are in this situation, Dana! We did not agree on everything but I could tell that you really loved your birds and were trying your very best. Parrots are VERY hard to keep happy and healthy! It's as simple as that. They are destructive, demanding and VERY difficult animals. It's not their fault, poor things, it's that they need what they need and living in a human home is very difficult for them.

I don't know what to tell you... If I remember correctly, you have medical issues and work so you could not keep them at a strict solar schedule and that might be the reason why they are biting you and destroying so much (I don't remember my jardine being particularly destructive but, in one measure or another, they all are). I know that a lot of people swear by training but training does not take care of hormones which are the number one cause of most undesirable behaviors in parrots. Have you tried to change their light schedule to a strict solar, their routine so they don't get protein food early in the am and to reduce protein intake during the resting season dramatically? If you haven't, could you do it if you so decided or is it an impossibility due to your work? Would giving you a break of a few weeks help? I couldn't do it right this instant because I am having remodeling done in the house but this whole thing should be over in another week or so and I could ask my husband to drive me up there or you could bring them for a little vacation. Sometimes, a break to give us a respite is all we need to get over the feeling of being overwhelmed and get things back in track.

I can't offer to actually I take them because even though Lord knows I love jardines and I still miss mine, taking your two birds would mean four more birds and not just two as I would have to look for companions of their own species and I can't take THAT many birds back home when we leave for good.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Sun May 12, 2019 8:34 pm

Parrots are not pets. As much as I like the parrot wizard, he's taking part in selling the idea that they are. And, therefore thousands of birds suffer. How is it a growing problem? Maybe because not enough truth is spoken about it. Ive hung on because of the very reason that I know their life in captivity is unfair and unnatural. People dress these birds in costumes and buy props and tricks, when what they want is to be free birds. The arguments over whether birds should be clipped adds to the absurdity. I've formed a bond with animals with a jeckyl and Hyde scenario. On one hand, they trust me. Rely on me. And are bonded to me. But they are also wild animals with a driven need to be free and to mate. A life of waiting. I'm frustrated. They're frustrated. I don't know what's best for them. I love them more than anything in this world. Yet, this situation is not okay anymore. And, I'm not okay anymore to a degree. Everything has a pro and con. So what's the magic answer to their unfair existance? You know what. If people wernt lacking something in their needs from each other...they wouldn't turn to animals. The animals suffer for it. My life revolving around their care is suffering. The absurdity. I don't know what the answer is.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 13, 2019 9:56 am

Well, in my personal opinion, the answer is to regulate both breeding and keeping them so there is no overpopulation and, when a bird is kept as a pet, there needs to be rules, training and annual inspections. They do it for birds of prey so they can certainly do it for parrots. Of course, it would be much better if parrots were not kept as pets at all but I don't think that is a practical goal. And, in truth, if they are kept the right way, they don't suffer, it's only that keeping them the right way is VERY complicated as it requires not only the right infrastructure, long term commitment and dedication, it also requires knowledge and skill in so many different areas of their husbandry that the greatest majority of people simply cannot do it.

But I don't think it's fair to blame people like Michael for our mistakes. It's not as if Michael is promoting that any Tom, Dick or Harry keep a parrot, he is simply trying, in his own way, to help other people achieve a good relationship with their bird. And he warns EVERYBODY about how hard it is! It's up to the individual to analyze their lifestyle and personal situation and see if a couple of parrots would 'fit'... The problem is that nobody really thinks about these things in detail and in advance, we all think we can do it just to find out later how really hard it is! I am one of those people... When I took in my first rescue, I never even thought about the possibility of me not being able to give her a good life - I thought it was a given because I love animals. But it's not because love is not enough, you need infrastructure and impeccable husbandry. And I have changed my mind a million times about a million different things that affect their lives and I have changed my entire life to accomodate them - and I am sure that I will continue to change my mind and adjust my lifestyle even more as I learn more and acquire more experience. But it's not easy...

In any case, my offer stands. If a vacation can help, I am willing to offer your birds a foster home for a while so as to give you a chance to regroup and relax without the stress of having them there.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby DanaandPod » Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 pm

I agree. Most people are not equipped.
This is literally tearing me apart. Nothing means more to me than these two parrots best position.
I respect Michael.
I don't believe parrots belong as pets though.
My connection was disconnected or I would have responded sooner.
Where in New Jersey are you?
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 am

I am in the Oranges - it's kind of in the middle of Jersey.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Housing