Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help! My 23 year old African Grey only wants to get in the b

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Help! My 23 year old African Grey only wants to get in the b

Postby mirickkonson » Mon May 20, 2019 10:18 am

My 23 year old African grey wants to do nothing but get into the bathroom, chew the linoleum behind the toilet, and then sit back there. She defends the bathroom from everyone and freaks out if you try to move her. She recently started doing it behind her cage as well.
mirickkonson
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: No

Re: Help! My 23 year old African Grey only wants to get in the b

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 20, 2019 11:42 am

Welcome to the forum! She is trying to nest but this means her endocrine system is out of whack because they are short day breeders and go into condition once the days start getting shorter (I suggest you re-evaluate her light schedule and twilight exposure). Mine loves to nest in the most hidden corner of the birdroom so what I do is put a couple of boxes in there (one inside the other) so she can chew them to her heart's content -she goes inside and chews and scratches with her claws the bottom of the box so, when this is gone, I simply exchange the box (es).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions