Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

“Sudden Death”

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

“Sudden Death”

Postby Christian Kelley » Tue May 21, 2019 6:21 pm

I had a cockatiel named Charlotte, but she recently passed due to unknown causes, her death was a surprise to me and it is still affecting me negatively. Before, I had another cockatiel named Chica and I had her for only about 2 1/2 months before she got an infection from what the vet said stress. I didnt know how this happened since I cleaned her regularly and played with her, but I did keep her in my kitchen at the time, so that might explain it. But, I had Charlotte from Late March to May 19th. This time I kept her in a room upstairs, and I used a different bedding and still loved her the same, but around Saturday May 19th she passed. Around this time I noticed she was sometimes in the floor but she did that even when I first got her, I would put her back up and she would just get on the floor and start screaming to get out after she jumped down. I also had seen her sleeping on the floor only once and that was a week or too before she passed.I don’t know if this had to do with a disease because she seemed healthy, but I am open to any kind of CLOSURE. Another thing that I would like to point out is that during the night and the day, there was the wort weather imaginable; thunder, lightning, tornadoes, etc. I had read that if something starters a bird they can rapidly fly into the side of the charge and break their neck, but again, I am open for responses. She never really got to fly much, but if she wanted to, she could jump from her perch and fly to the other side of the room. Also, after her death, I was wondering if I could get a necropsy but unfortunately I didn’t refrigerate her body and it was too late, I got caught up in the whole situation. P.S. - if I didn’t specifically state something that could lead to a conclusion or you just want to know something respond please with a question.
Christian Kelley
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: “Sudden Death”

Postby liz » Wed May 22, 2019 3:52 am

I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to give them up.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: “Sudden Death”

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am

Oh, geez! I am soooo sorry for both your losses! What heartbreak for you! Unfortunately, without a necropsy or a very detailed list of symptoms, it's impossible to determine what could have caused her death but, if I were you and were considering getting another one, I would make sure that EVERYTHING is disinfected VERY thoroughly (use Clorox). I would also adopt a pair of young, healthy birds (they are not as stressed out when they are in pairs) and make sure their diet and supplements are exactly what they need (I recommend gloop and greens for breakfast and a good budgie mix for dinner in the winter and a tiel mix in the summer). And, at the first sign of anything wrong (a bird that goes to ground is a sick bird), take it to the vet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet