Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

'Old' herbs work on resistant bacteria

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

'Old' herbs work on resistant bacteria

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 24, 2019 9:03 am

Ha! The old ends up being better than the new! They found that medicinal herbs that were used in the Civil War are efficient against antibiotic-resistant bacteria - how's that for a trick?!

https://www.zmescience.com/science/plan ... -242789930

On this subject, let me tell you something that happened just a couple of weeks ago. The last stray dog we took had never being neutered despite his being old and this had caused him to get a perineal hernia which is, actually, VERY serious as it can be fatal. This hernia happens when the muscle walls of the intestines become so thin that they can no longer retain their structure and begin to 'stretch' forming a pocket that collects poop. Once the walls are thin enough and enough poop collects in there, it can burst, spreading infection all over the place so the dog goes septic and dies if something is not done immediately - and sometimes even when it is done. The surgery is very invasive as they need to actually resect the intestine and saw it back together again and that leaves a very large incision on the outside, as well as lots of layers of stitches on the inside. Vets don't cover this incision because it's pretty impossible to bandage a dog's booty but, as it wasn't getting better and was still bleeding days after the surgery as well as looking red and inflammed, I took out my old and faithful remedies from back home: Espadol and sulfa powder and made a diaper/bandage to cover it. Now, here in USA, nobody uses or has even heard of this disinfectant (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroxylenol) and they haven't used sulfa powder since WWII but I tell you that, in my experience, there is nothing better for wounds in animals. Espadol doesn't sting at all and the sulfa powder dries up the wound because the powder, mixed with the blood, makes a very nice crust that allows the wound or incision to heal without getting dirty. After cleaning his booboo twice a day for three days, it was no longer red or inflammed and it was healing wonderfully! Sometimes (and this article confirms it!), the old stuff is better than the new!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet