Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby liz » Sun May 19, 2019 4:15 am

I thought navy beans were a no no. I thought only white beans were legal for birds.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 19, 2019 9:36 am

Liz, navy beans are white.

And, geez, John, I am so sorry... stoned or jumpy all the time must be freaking exhausting! Have you tried changing meds? And couldn't you put their cage in another room and try to muffle the sound coming into yours? Maybe you could put the fresh food out before you go to bed at night... they won't eat it in the dark but it will be there at dawn when they wake up so, if they have food and you can manage to reduce the noise coming into your room, you might be able to keep at it until things get better...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon May 20, 2019 5:03 am

I thought navy beans were red. I have been feeding white beans with their morning foods.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 20, 2019 8:58 am

No, Navy beans are white, see this: https://www.livestrong.com/article/4484 ... u-can-eat/

The ones I use (in a very small proportion to grains) are called 'small white beans' but, in reality, they are just undersized Navy beans -which were called that because they were the staple of sailors. But you are right that only white beans should be used for birds and then in very small quantities because, in all honesty, I am not 100% sure that they are good for them in the long term and, most likely, i will end up eliminating them completely from their diet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu May 30, 2019 10:05 am

My poor hooded parrot is going through such a hard molt. The back of his head looks like it was over-preened by a mate. Maybe the ghost of his mate followed us here.

He eats mostly seed. He will take one bite out of a bean, or a strawberry. He might eat some of the grains. He will eat a very little of a blueberry or grape if you cut it in half for him. I don’t think he can be getting too much protein. Is it even the right time to be molting? He never bathes.

I’d try to get a picture, but it would stress him.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 30, 2019 11:54 am

I don't know if this species has a nuptial plumage but I know they are short day breeders and usually breed in what we would consider winter because the intense heat of the summers in their natural habitat would, otherwise, cook the eggs. I also read that it's the normal storms of the beginning of their season that finishes triggering their hormones.

Have you tried a plain grain gloop mixing the grains with baby pureed food? Because, if he ate that (and most birds would), it would provide enough vitamins and minerals just be choosing the right combination of purees...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu May 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Pajarita wrote:I don't know if this species has a nuptial plumage but I know they are short day breeders and usually breed in what we would consider winter because the intense heat of the summers in their natural habitat would, otherwise, cook the eggs. I also read that it's the normal storms of the beginning of their season that finishes triggering their hormones.

Have you tried a plain grain gloop mixing the grains with baby pureed food? Because, if he ate that (and most birds would), it would provide enough vitamins and minerals just be choosing the right combination of purees...

That’s a great idea. Right now I cook 2 cups of grains at a time and leave them in the fridge. I mix them with the frozen veggies and leave them out overnight. I add fruit in the morning and serve it. This will make it easy to do a grain only for him.

I tried putting the food in at night, but by sunset the next day, the broccoli really stunk. I suppose I could leave the broccoli out, but Nicky asks for it. Brrrrroccoli. I don’t know how much he actually eats it. He won’t touch the flower, but he’ll eat some stalks
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 am

I was doing the small grain and baby food gloop for Paquita when she was alive and she loved it so, yes, do try it because, for example, if you add blueberries and, say, sweet potatoes, and put out a leafy green for him you are pretty much covering a wide range of nutrients right there.

Try giving him just raw brrrrroccoli :lol: instead of the frozen one in the gloop. All my birds love it, even the ones that would not touch any other green.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:47 am

I’ve started eating the grain mix myself. I undercook it so it’s a bit firmer, like I do for the birds. I’d assume this is more filling and has fewer calories than most other things I’d eat.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:31 am

I eat brown Basmati, Jazmine, wild rice and quinoa all the time and, in winter, I eat steel-cut oats, too. The thing about whole grains is that they are MUCH more nutritious than flours, they do have a much lower glycemic index AND they not only fill you up better, the body takes longer to digest them so you also feel full longer. Plus, I personally like the nutty taste they all have...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care