Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

SPCAs now have birds for adoption

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

SPCAs now have birds for adoption

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:15 am

And if this is not a sign of the times, I don't know what is! Just until a few years ago, the SPCAs had nothing but dogs and cats and, whenever they found an exotic, they would send it to the specific rescue (and I know because they used to call me when I had the rescue in Pa) but, nowadays, there are SOOOOO many that they are actually keeping them and putting them up for adoption themselves.

http://capecodtoday.com/article/2019/05 ... d-Parakeet
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: SPCAs now have birds for adoption

Postby Navre » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:48 pm

MSPCA has had birds for years, but they have pretty limited space.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Yes, I am sure they do but, then, who doesn't?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:45 am

They have a farm, Nivens farm, at which they have many ducks, chickens, geese, horses, ponies, etc.
They have a building there that houses dogs, cats, rabbits, and birds. I can’t volunteer there because the cat allergens permeate the whole place.

They also have lots and lots of roosters. If people raise a chick, and it’s a rooster, they usually can’t keep it. It’s not even legal in most places.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:16 am

Yes, and that's why I think that most people, although with good intentions, end up doing more harm than good when it comes to chickens - and other animals, too. A cousin back home, who moved from Switzerland after living there many years, wanted a 'farm' - not a real working one that needs to make money because they don't need it but a large country place where she could have animals, something I applaud, of course. BUT, because she wasn't really prepared for the whole thing and did not do enough research, they ended up with 3 roosters which means that two of them live on their own coop and are hardly ever allowed to roam because they are terribly aggressive (they have no hens of their own!) and that's no life for a rooster. She also ended up with three horses (they came with the farm) and the older one has deformed hooves and one of them is cracked. Why? Because she never had a blacksmith come over regularly to shod them properly. Again, not out of malice or even lack of money (they have A LOT) but because she thought that as long as the horse remains on grass or soft ground, they were not necessary but that's not so. She had not even noticed the bad hooves on the old male until I told her. AND her dogs stink. AND she has a male cat that is not neutered. AND she chains the dogs at night. And she feeds the cats and the dogs just dry food -and not the best one either. I actually had to apologize to her because the family was asking about my parrots and she mentioned that, maybe, when I move back, I would let her have one for her own to which I immediately (and too loudly) said: "NO WAY!!! You crazy? One of my birds?! You don't take good care of your animals!" To which she replied that she did, that she always took them to the vet when there is something wrong with them so I told her that medical are not the only need animals have and told her all the things I had noticed - which was NOT the right thing to do in front of the whole family (we were having one of the family reunions at her 'farm' because it's about 5 minutes from Punta del Este and half an hour from Piriapolis where my brother has his summer cabin and where we were going after the weekend spent in her 'farm'). But we are good. I apologized to her and her answer was: "Don't worry for one second. We all know how you are about animals" :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:20 am

A blue female IRN at the Boston's SPCA. But I wonder if these people know how to adopt out a parrot... Because 90% of people can keep a dog or a cat well but the percentage goes down to single digits when we talk about good parrot husbandry.

https://whdh.com/news/extremely-rare-bi ... claims-it/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:41 am

Pajarita wrote:A blue female IRN at the Boston's SPCA. But I wonder if these people know how to adopt out a parrot... Because 90% of people can keep a dog or a cat well but the percentage goes down to single digits when we talk about good parrot husbandry.

I'm glad you posted that. There was one missing one one of the "lost bird" facebook pages I follow.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:42 am

Navre wrote:
Pajarita wrote:A blue female IRN at the Boston's SPCA. But I wonder if these people know how to adopt out a parrot... Because 90% of people can keep a dog or a cat well but the percentage goes down to single digits when we talk about good parrot husbandry.

I'm glad you posted that. There was one missing one one of the "lost bird" facebook pages I follow.

Never mind. It was the "found" post that I had seen.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:44 am

Well, it always pays to double check!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Parrot Tales