Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Dried peas?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Dried peas?

Postby cstone01 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Is it OK to give raw dried peas? I know the uncooked beans are bad. If I put them in a whole grain pasta that I cook for about 10 minutes they will not be fully cooked is that OK to feed? Is it OK to give raw dried peas? I know that uncooked beans are bad. If I put them in whole-grain pasta that I cook for about 10 minutes they will not be fully cooked They take 30 to 45 minutes to cook fully. These are organic split peas to make split pea soup.Is that OK to feed in small amounts? Thank you
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Dried peas?

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:16 am

Well, for one thing, I would not feed an Alexandrine pasta and peas because even it it is whole grain pasta, there is no real good nutrition in this combination (they are mostly fruit eaters in the wild). I don't feed my parrots dry anything without reconstituting it (as in things like raisins, for example). For peas, I only use fresh (as in sugar snaps or mangetouts), frozen (as in sweet peas in the gloop), and, for beans, it's cans but I am tending to use less and less of them and I will soon eliminate them from their diet (too much oxalic acid and the only thing the provide is protein which they can get from other, more natural, sources). If you are going to feed beans, you need to cook them thoroughly (for your own sake, too) but some peas can be eaten raw.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Dried peas?

Postby cstone01 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Thank you for the reply
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet