Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Eclectus Parrot Feedings (a list)

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Eclectus Parrot Feedings (a list)

Postby GreenWing » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:04 pm

I've obtained lists over the years, such as the Vitamin A list of foods for parrots .
In a similar way, I grabbed this list for Ekkies.

I think the list is very useful and I hope it is helpful for others, as well. Whether you have input to add or not, please be respectful to the fact that I typed this all out to help others learn about Eclectus nutrition. I'm not the author.

FRUITS

Cantaloupe
Apricots
Cranberries
Blueberries
Sweet and sour cherries
Pomegranates
Papaya

OTHER

Cooked brown or white rice
Cooked dried peas
Beans
Lentils
Cooked beets
Baked potatoes
Defrosted green peas
Cantaloupe seeds
Dried unsalted pumpkin seeds
Cooked or dried uncooked pasta
Sprouted seeds of all kinds
Corn
Softened popcorn seeds (soaked overnight)
Popped popcorn with no butter or salt

*Scrambled eggs and chopped hard boiled eggs, shells included
Spray millet (as a low fat treat)
Nuts removed from shells
Eggplant - cooked or raw

VEGGIES

Carrots - cooked as well as raw, grated, diced, whole
Sweet potatoes
Yams
Winter squash
Pumpkin (baked in microwave in skins)
Dark green lettuce

TREAT JAR

Unsweetened breakfast cereal (cherrios or Rice Chex), dried banana chips, uncooked dried vegetable pasta; small, dried hot red peppers; popcorn - popped without butter or salt; almonds - whole in the shell or chopped or silvered; millet seed or a budgie/cockatiel seed mix. Raisins are unsuitable (moisture level too high)

*asterisk provided to note this is up for debate due to protein content

DO NOT FEED AN ECLECTUS PELLETS.
Additional no-feed in follow up post.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Eclectus Parrot Feedings (a list)

Postby GreenWing » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:06 pm

DO NOT FEED chocolate and caffeine, avocados, alcohol, peanuts, apple seeds and fruit pits, milk products, sugar, salt and fat (such as potato chips), no artificial food colors and dyes.

AND NO PELLETS!
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:17 am

Also NO ANIMAL PROTEIN so no eggs! And no white rice (just simple carbs and nothting else in there), apricots are OK as long as they are not dried and not fed often at all (waayy to high in oxalates) and one needs to be VERY careful with protein with them so, although the sources of protein on the list (seeds, nuts, beans -which should only be white and never colored, lentils, etc) are not bad per se, they have to be closely measured and in very small portions. I would also never feed a parrot dried corn whether it was soaked or even cooked... And you can add lots of other fruits to the list, like oranges, grapes, apples, bananas, starfruit, kiwis, etc. as well as veggies like corn on the cob, zucchini, tomatoes, etc.

The important thing with ekkies is VERY low protein, almost no fat, high moisture, high fiber and no 'nutrition bombs' - they do better on a poor diet than on a rich one. Oh, and careful with veggies that are high in salycilates, they seem to have a particular intolerance for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:10 am

Believe it or not, I woke up last night, in the middle of the night, remembering (in my sleep, I guess) that I had not mentioned that human cereal, ANY human cereal, is a complete NO-NO for any parrot so add that to the list of things that need to be expunged from this list.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby charliejone » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:48 pm

I appreciate the comprehensive list of foods for Ekkies that you have shared. I am feeding my parrot based on the foods mentioned,fnf and I'm grateful for the guidance provided.
charliejone
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Postby prohan » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:26 am

I usually feed them a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables such as papaya, mango, kiwi, carrot, sweet potato, and broccoli. And one thing to note is to avoid feeding fruits and vegetables that are high in oxalic acid, such as spinach and kale, as these can interfere with calcium absorption and may lead to health issues. I also offer a variety of nuts and seeds, such as almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds and some time is pellets to give a balanced nutrition for Eclectus parrots.
prohan
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot, Cockatiel, Cardinal, Orioles,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet