Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

hormonal behaviour

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

hormonal behaviour

Postby breda » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:08 pm

:senegal: hi all, my cockatoo, brazillian: ive had her about 9 months now, and she still wants to rub against me. i give her no attention when she does this, she will only put her foot on my finger and wont let me rub her head and neck. im concerned that her hormonal behaviour is going on too long; it started in jan/feb, any advice would be helpful. i dont know what age she is.
breda
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatoo parrott
Flight: No

Re: hormonal behaviour

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:00 am

Welcome to the forum! The thing with cockatoos is that, in captivity, they end up having two breeding seasons (they are considered hormonal birds) so you need to be VERY careful with its diet (no free-feeding protein food and reducing the protein intake during winter) and the solar schedule. Now, I do not know how many years it was kept at the wrong light schedule and/or a bad diet but the longer it had, the longer it will take for its endocrine system to go back on track (if the bird has been hormonal since January, its endocrine system is screwed up - no two ways about it). And you are right in worrying about it because a screwed up endocrine system is not only sexually frustating and physical uncomfortable (sometimes even to the point of chronic pain) for them, there is also the danger of disease because the immune system depends on a healthy endocrine system.

Now, the thing is that as of June/21, the days started getting shorter and toos are short day breeders and are now preparing for a breeding season so you are not going to see improvement right now but you need to start as soon as possible and, in reality, for a bird used to having a human light schedule, this is the best time of the year to switch them because the body is already used to many hours of light and it will transition more naturally to a good bird light schedule (strictly solar with 2 hours of twilight).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions