Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Just checking in !

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Just checking in !

Postby Bird woman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:18 am

:corella: How is everyone doing ? We are a flock of 21 now , 5 M’2s , 3 LSC’s , 3 Goffin’S , 3 UMBRELLA’S , 3 BARE EYED , 1 SLENDER BILLED CORELLA , 1 MED SULPHER CRESTED , AND 2 GRAY’S . This year seems to be at epidemic purportions with birds being rehomed. Lately I’ve been turning birds away unless absolute emergency { medical or abuse } as we are at max capacity. Thank god it’s summer and we now have 5 huge flights outside. Praying for no smoke this year. Seems to be heavier molt than usual this year as well as harder than normal hormonal season but garden is producing already , lots of veggies and minimal protein seems to be keeping hormones in check with lots of misting and baths for molting comfort. Just thought I’d check in and see how everyone is doing and hope all the feather babies are well. BIRD WOMAN :swaying:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: Just checking in !

Postby liz » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 am

Welcome back.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:27 am

Hey, nice to hear from you and to find out you are doing well! As to turning birds away... yes, that's the way it always turns out after a while because even when you don't advertise, word of mouth is enough. But there is something not quite right because most of the birds you have are short day breeders and they should only now start producing sexual hormones so check your light schedule and your diet (you are supposed to increase protein in the spring, not decrease it and that might be the problem - I know you are doing it to 'control' hormones but the only way to do it efficiently is to follow nature and, in the wild, the spring and summer is when there is rich and abundant food) because I cannot even begin to fathom having 21 large birds all overly hormonal at the same time!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Hey, I was wondering where you've been! how's SO? :mrgreen:

Happy that you and your birds are doing well. Chance is going through her mating season now and we're well prepared too
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:05 am

Greenwing, grays are not on breeding season now. There are too many hours of daylight yet for that. They start nesting in September and usually lay in November so you might want to rethink her diet and light schedule but bathing them often calms them down because they are programmed to breed during the dry season.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:50 am

Pajarita wrote:Greenwing, grays are not on breeding season now. There are too many hours of daylight yet for that. They start nesting in September and usually lay in November so you might want to rethink her diet and light schedule but bathing them often calms them down because they are programmed to breed during the dry season.

Ugh I meant molting not mating! I've been working a lot and I'm pretty exhausted. So, brain fart.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:42 am

I'll double check this evening when I feed her dinner but I don't remember seeing any feathers of Sophie CAG on the floor... And if one goes by rule of thumb, birds only start molt after their breeding season.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby GreenWing » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:03 am

I might be jumping the gun. I've seen a few feathers, a couple larger ones and I think - oh, she's molting. But we'll see, I guess.
GreenWing
African Grey

Return to General & Off Topic