Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:21 am

Where do I get milk thistle?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:47 am

You can order from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Answer-A ... way&sr=8-3) or buy it from a vitamin or health store. I get it from Vitamin Shoppe (their own brand but you need to make sure it's the one that it's alcohol free because they have both kinds, the one with alcohol and the one without). You should also give it to your amazons. I put one squirt of the dropper in about 4 ounces of water.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:39 am

I will get on it.

Rainbow loves her box and step stool arrangement so much that she has been sleeping in it. She is so funny. She makes me laugh every day. I love that little green bird.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:47 am

Yes, zon can be real funny birds!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:49 am

I am still mourning the loss of Tommy. He was such a sweet kissy bird.

Looked at Andy Monday night and he has an eye swollen closed. Took him to the vet yesterday morning. He has a sinus infection that is so bad that it went to his eye. He was still eating and perching so until I saw the eye I did not know what was going on. I have 4 different medacines for him 4 times a day.

This is going to be rough. He likes to touch me but not me touching him.

I finally found a vet that advertised she was avian. She was thorough. I did not notice since he was eating that he is only half the size he should be. I can see that with this many birds a lot of my money will be going to her.

As soon as Andy is ready to go back to the flock I will make a checkup appointment for Rambo and Myrtle including the liver test. They are still eating and playing but now do not trust what just I see.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 am

It's real hard with birds... You need to spend time every morning and every evening observing each and every one of them and make a mental note of anything that doesn't look right. That was the reason why I finally quit work: because I couldn't do the twice a day thorough check-up on them. I could keep them fed and clean and cage-free but I could not make sure they were all OK.

But even after learning what to look for and taking the time twice a day to make sure, you still miss stuff... it's inevitable.

Make sure you are supplementing them with a good multvitamin/mineral because sinus infections almost always mean not enough betacarotene...

Hope he gets better soon!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:54 am

He was keeping his good eye toward me.

The swelling in his left eye is down but he still has not opened it. I have to put antibiotic right in his eye. I think he is going to be blind.

He runs in circles trying to see every thing with his right eye.

Poor little birdy misses his friends but I cannot put him back since I need access to do meds.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:15 am

Well, I've seen eyes that were REAL bad (I am talking pus coming out from under the lids) and, once the infection cleared off, they were back to normal so don't lose faith. Also, I don't think he is running in circles because he can't see out of one eye - I've had birds that were blind in one eye (I have one right now, Codee) and even a cockatiel that was completely blind and they moved normally. Usually, when a bird goes always in a circle is because of neurological damage which could very well be nothing more serious than a severe calcium deficiency or as serious as advanced liver malfunction (is he on milk thistle? if not, you need to put him on it and make sure he is getting a good multivitamin/mineral supplement - and, if you can get your hands on some lactulose, you can try that too).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:17 am

Andy runs circles when he is trying to see everything with one eye. The rest of the time he is normal.
He is getting better and has started to fight me when I give meds. At first he did not care what I did to him.
I can't wait to give him back to Jackie. She has had three mates and lost them. She has given up on him and stopped calling.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:25 am

Rambo has been refusing to answer me when I call her Rainbow. I guess I need to change the name back to Rambo but can't remember how.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care