Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird cage in living room that’s connected to the kitchen

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Bird cage in living room that’s connected to the kitchen

Postby ZZ.Z » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:25 am

Hi, I’m first time parrot owner.

I live in an apartment that we use carpet for bedrooms and wood floor for living room. It is really hard to clean if putting the cage in the bedroom, so I’m trying to put it in the living room.
But our living room is connected to the kitchen and there’s not any door or something else to separate the kitchen and living room.
I read a lot of articles about how some fumes can be really dangerous to parrots, so I’m really concerned about that. We don’t use any Teflon or non-stick pans though.

Is it safe to put my parrot’s cage in the living room( there’s not much traffic in the living room since I have a small and quiet family)? And is there something else I need to be cautious of? ( cuz I heard that some people used non-stick cookie sheets and actually caused the death of their parrots)

This is my first time taking care of a parrot and I really want to give him a great life.

Thanks if you can help me with this! :gcc:
ZZ.Z
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peach Front Conure
Flight: No

Re: Bird cage in living room that’s connected to the kitchen

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:09 am

Welcome to the forum and thank you so much for caring and doing research to ensure your new friend's wellbeing!

My kitchen also has no door on it and I have cages both in the dining room (off the kitchen) and the living room (which is open to the dining room) but I hardly ever cook and, when I do, I never use anything that has a non-stick coating. And yes, cookie sheets, cake pans, toasters, toaster-ovens, waffle irons, etc - even coffee machines can have the dangerous non-stick coating so you need to carefully go over all your cooking stuff and see what will work and what needs to be replaced.

Now, if you cook all the time, the distance is small between the stove and the cage and there is no ventilation, you might want to do something about that. I have a strong exhaust fan right above my stove (the kind that throws the air out, not the kind that just filters it) and it works great for when I do cook PLUS I always leave one window opened a crack - even in the coldest days of winter because birds need clean and fresh air with plenty of oxygen so the room where they are needs to be always ventilated. But you need to make sure that the bird's cage does not get a draft from it (it's OK during warm weather but not during the cold months).

Bird-proofing a house takes a lot of thought and a bit of doing but, once it's done and you kind of adjust your life to living with a bird, you hardly ever have to think about it again.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird cage in living room that’s connected to the kitchen

Postby ZZ.Z » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Thank you so much!!! That helped me a lot!

I will check on my cookwares.
ZZ.Z
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peach Front Conure
Flight: No

Return to Housing