Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:36 am

You always say 'frozen veggies' and I know you don't do gloop and only soak the grains/seeds for a few hours so i am not sure they are completely thawed and at room temperature when you offer them - they are, right?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:52 am

I soak the grain in boiling water over night in a thermal cup. It is still warm in the morning when I rinse it and add cooked frozen veggies. They don't like the raw ones.

Andy is skipping the grain and going right to the veggies. He does eat some of the budgie seed but prefers the veggies. He eats them in order: peas, corn, carrots, limas then green beans. He is opposite of the others. The others only nibble on the veggies. When put back I hope he teaches the others to go for the veggies. It only takes one to lead the group in new things.

He is doing better but his eye glues shut between meds. I need an idea of what I can use to keep it soft and able to stay open. Can I use a little Neosporin?
I think he can see with it. He tries to anyway.

Rainbow has gone back to preening my toes and now even my ankles. He makes funny noises when she does it. Gotta love this kid.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:16 am

Liz, cooking the frozen veggies completely defeats the purpose of using them - they need to be just thawed. And, please, NO lima beans - they are not good for them! Don't buy the bags of mixed veggies, buy separate bags of corn, peas and carrots, broccoli and butternut squash (you can use half a bag at a time to make the gloop). Andy might have advanced liver damage because, in my personal experience, aviary birds that have it always want to eat veggies and more veggies... Are you putting the liquid milk thistle extract in their water?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:57 am

All I have done for Andy is give him his meds and vitamins in his water. I will increase my care of him now and will have him tested at his next visit.

My cockatiels are over due for a cleaning too. I hope to get to them soon.

I am ashamed of myself for the lack of attention my babies are getting.

Our well pump burned up. We called the man who put it in 3 years ago. He came and damaged our well then left it that way. It was three weeks before we could find someone to clean up his mess. We have water now but had been collecting rain water for washing and flushing. Rachel has been hauling in drinking and cooking water. It has taken up a lot of time. Finding the $3250 to pay for it has caused a lot of stress too. I am not making excuses. Just telling you what I have been through.

I will get back to it and do right by my babies.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:08 am

Liz, you do NOT need to give us explanations! I know FOR A FACT that your birds are well taken care of, I am just offering suggestions to make things a bit better for them. Nutrition is a VERY difficult subject - one studies and studies and studies and it's never enough. That's why I always say that my birds diet is a work in progress: because I am always learning and always tweaking and trying to improve it. And I know you are the same way: always trying real hard.

And OUCH!!! on the pump expenses!!! Sheesh - that's a lot of money!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:29 am

I have had to cancel Andy's vet visit. I just don't have the money. I had a credit card just for my pets but had to max it out for the pump and even max my checking account.

I need to win the lottery but I need a dollar to do it. LOL

I still have meds for Andy. I got a second round of meds so will use them until next month.

I just hate that he is alone. He is a flocker and really misses his flock and freedom. Every once in a while he will call out to them.
Jackie is depressed and does not come to me now.
I pray that he will get well soon so I can give him back to her.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 am

Are you keeping him in a different room? Because what I do is put them in a cage either inside the big flight cage where the others are or put them in a cage in a place where the others can reach so they can see, hear and even touch each other. The company of their family brings them comfort and reduces the stress of being sick and separated from them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:55 am

I have him in a different room in a big aquarium but am ready to put him back in the room in a small cage so I can catch him and give him his meds.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:05 am

Good decision! The most important thing with sick or wounded birds is to reduce stress as much as possible because a stressed out bird is not going to heal as fast. For a territorial species, you isolate them while, for a highly social species, you need to keep them where the other birds are BUT because parrots hide when they feel vulnerable, one should always provide a bit of a little 'cave' for them - so what I do is put them in a smaller cage in the same room or cage where the others are but I always cover half of it with some sort of material and put it against a wall or a side of the cage so they can hear and see the other birds (and get comfort and a feeling of safety in numbers) but they can also 'hide' under the 'canopy' if they feel like it.
'
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:37 am

There are so many little parrots out there who are neglected or abused. I do not breed. It would be hard to sell one knowing that he may go through several hands and then end up in a bad life. These are little beings with the same emotions that you have.

I have fake cockatiel eggs that I swap out with the fertile ones.

Please, do not breed. Do not buy. Rescue and rehome instead.

My birds are all rescues including the Amazons. I have paid rehoming fees with the highest being $300 to get the bird and save it from the fate it was facing.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care